Computer processing speed

I am looking to find a way to get Rhino 7 to run faster. I have a 4.8 GHz processor, 20 cores, 64 Gig of fast ram, a nVidia Quadro RTX 8000 and it is hardly any faster than my old rig. I can barely make Rhino use 7% of my processing capacity and here I find myself waiting for many minutes for a process to complete. I am hoping there is a windows program that takes full advantage of the computing power of this machine and lets Rhino think all is normal.

Moved to Hardware category

Hi @Ken,

Just curious, what kind of processes take many minutes?

– Dale

I am editing a point cloud for one. There are 8.5 million points so simply importing this point cloud to grasshopper Tarsier takes about 20 minutes.

Also, interestingly, I was performing similar manipulations in grasshopper and the full power of my CPU is called. I have been reading that Rhino is a single processor program. Does Grasshopper not have that limitation?

If you’re using Grasshopper components that were specifically designed to be multiprocessor, then they will be.

Most things in Rhino–which includes Grasshopper–indeed most things in any kind of “content creation” task, aren’t even theoretically possible to parallelize, nevermind how tricky that is to do in practice, and those that are it’s still only certain steps in the operation. At some point it comes down to THIS must be done before THAT, they can’t happen at the same time.

Unless you’re into software rendering the reason to have tons of cores isn’t that you actually need those cores, it’s that you want the extra PCIe lanes that come with the the higher-end CPUs so that your GPUs and SSDs and other accessories don’t get bottlenecked…which still adds up to not much extra noticeable speed in the real world.

Which all adds up to…yeah your new monster machine a lot of the time is going to be disappointingly not-much-faster than your old one. My machine is getting long in the tooth and I got to use a much newer nicer machine for a few weeks, and…yep it was disappointing, it was a little faster but mostly it was just quieter.

I’ve just got a new computer, but GH still works slowly. Task Manager Performance shows both CPU and GPU working at 5% while GH is processing (blue ring). What setting I need to give all resources to GH?

Did you read my post above? You can’t turn on some setting to magically parallelize everything. Not sure why I have to explain this as multi-core desktop CPUs have been around for FIFTEEN years now, and multi-cpu systems long before that, and they’ve never been a silver bullet except for specific tasks.