What causes Rhino to load without toolbars?

My Rhino updates a couple times a day for testing.
I think I have lost toolbars once in the last 2-3 years.

That was in the Windows WIP and I had shutdown the computer with the power button instead of closing Windows using the shut down tool.

I find this impossible to believe.

Are all your toolbars docked? And are they the default layout?

Another common issue I encounter is the command prompt disappearing – probably more often than toolbars disappearing.

I mostly use a default toolbar layout.
I have moved the Osnap tool bar to the right end of the Command prompt:

I rarely leave Rhino running very long as I’m testing and checking mostly. I’m not modeling much either.

1 Like

When you close Rhino V7, an XML file is written out with the details of which toolbars are open, their size, location, docked, etc.

Windows caches these writes and does them as a background process, so quickly hibernating can interrupt the writing and screw up everything.

I routinely close all applications and close Windows so I rarely have any of these sorts of problems.

1 Like

By using default toolbars and docked locations, you wont really witness these issues, especially cause it’s super easy to resort back to default and Rhino probably does that automatically under certain circumstances I bet.

Now, once you undock those entities and float them to different locations on the screen, resize them etc. – then you’ll really begin to test the issue.

I’ve been doing it this way since R4. And the only real adaptation I’ve done is refrained from making custom pallets, buttons etc.

So, here’s my current permutation as of late:

Over the years I’ve memorized the pallet names I use as foundation: ‘standard’, ‘main1’, ‘main2’, ‘select’ – which I’ve recently switched to: ‘main’, ‘standard toolbar group (14 tabs)’, ‘select’.

Which, eventually I’ll rely more on the tabs and think of it more like just: ‘main’, ‘standard (tabs)’.

Now, of course I include the ‘command prompt’ and ‘subD tools’.

And from time to time I open and close different stuff depending on what I’m doing or testing etc.

But just wanted to share my basic approach.

I think it would be better for this not to occur really ever.

The user should have the responsibility of saving them.

What’s funny about this, is I’m sure users are trying to take responsibility and doing just that, but the “windows/Rhino” is overwriting that attempt.

Hence, why I mostly use default toolbars now, partially of course do to version incompatibility from R5 to R6 etc.

Just sharing again to clarify my main basic setup that spawns anything else I change from time to time:

I mostly use the (tabbed) version of the ‘standard’ pallet because of interest of using the default and learning more about the tabs.

But I suspect eventually I will like to reduce redundancies and clear up the screen by reducing that down to just ‘standard’ and smaller pallet size.

Sometimes 1/4"X4" can make a big difference in screen real estate.

And since we’re on the subject sort of (sry for spamming) I wanted to reiterate something I’ve been dreaming about forever, which is being able to move, resize the dropdown menu bar:

I’ll most likely reflect more on this matter over time and possibly in other threads haha.

But I’d like to be able to resize it to be more square or rectangle shaped, and located somewhere on the lower right hand side.