Visualarq section markers and

Hello out there !!!
I have been trying to customise my section markers.

Does anyone know how to move the text around?

Currently the text sits outside the centre of the circle for the circular section marker? @fsalla

Attached is a screen grab.

40%20(2)

@seanSpace Section texts have a grip point that lets you move them in different positions. Simply turn the section points on and you will be able to move the text.

Thank you @Fsalla. It’s a bit tricky to move every time but at least now I know there is a way.

@enric or @fsalla Is there a way to make those section mark fills and text come through to the plan view?

Please see attached plan view and top view with section mark fills and text missing in plan view.

Thank you

i

Not now. We should add changes to make them appear in plan views. Why don’t you print the 3D model with the Cut plane (using Hidden display) rather than creating a plan view? You wouldn’t have this problem with section texts and fills…

I will try that. Thank you

Hi @fsalla.

Using the 3D view for plans and section will be much better for me. It will also reduce file size and wait time for the make 2D.

I have tried but I am experiencing some difficulties.

1. Section hatch control override in 3D vs 2D

In 2D the section style overrides the visualarq objects hatch setting.

So if I want my walls to be black from the top in plan view, but striped hatches when they are cut in section view I can control that by setting it in section view styles.

But
When I work in 3D my section hatch is determined by my material.

I cant have my walls look black when cut from above and striped when sectioned? see attached screenshot.

Also when I print the hatch from the section doesn’t print out at all.

SECTION CONTROLrasterwireframe.pdf (257.3 KB)

1. I honestly don’t think the 3D hidden line works as well as the 2D. See the attached comparison wireframe, hidden or 2D. Any settings you would suggest that could change this? See attached. PLANraster2.pdf (754.8 KB)
  2. How would you export the 3D to CAD ?

best

Hi Fsalla

Following from the earlier conversation.
What is the best display output for printing in Visualarq if not using make 2d?

Technical View seems to miss many Visualarq elements such as section hatches and in my case beams from custom profiles.

The hidden view does not show hidden lines as dotted lines. I don’t know how to change this in display settings. Can you change this? If I could just add this it would solve most of my problems.

Please see attached 2 images.

@SeanSpace, thanks for your feedback on this topic. Our goal is to make the 3D Hidden line work better than 2D drawing views.

If I understand you well, do you want to see the same wall in 3D “plan view” section with one hatch pattern and in 3D “vertical section” with a different hatch?

Can you share that model so we can check that out?

I can see many differences between 2D plan views and the 3D model in plan view. And the result should be the same. Please share the model so we can fix those errors in 3D plan views.

We are planning in future versions to add an option to export page layouts to dwg. But in the meantime the only way to do this is by creating 2D plan and Section views.

Hidden is the best way to print 3D models to vector output, specially for 3D objects. In case of 2D geometry only, the Wireframe is also good. But there’s a bug when printing linetypes with the proper scale. I’ll let you know when we fix this.

(Section attributes are not supported in Technical display mode)

Hi Fsalla

Q1 Yes correct I will need the hatch in plan view to look different to the section hatch but only on the intersection cut of the wall, door, or object with the section. So at the point where the object is sectioned, there should be a hatch.

The reason for this is that when you do a 4 or more detailed layout you need the top/plan view to indicate walls doors etc and when you need to do a section you will need to show the point where the section cuts the wall or object.

The Varq section view style in the 2D overrides the material properties.

If you could answer with this asap I will send through my model a bit later.

If the Section View style has the Pattern “By Parent”, the section attributes assigned to object styles or to objects directly will be shown in Section views.

Hi Fsalla

That is how it works with 2D but not 3D ?
Here is a PDF from the same document and the file from which it is made.

hatchsection.3dm (2.9 MB)
hatchsection.pdf (47.7 KB)

Hi seanSpace,

It is not possible to assign global section attributes on objects by viewport, as you can do with 2D section views assigning the hatch pattern by style.

Is that perhaps what you are missing?

(By the way, the option to overwrite the section attributes by 2D Section View style is not working for 2D Plan View styles.)

Hi Fsalla

Is there a way to get hidden lines from "the make 2D Visualarq sections? "

The 2D section style does override the object style so that solves my problem with the object plan hatch.

So to sum up the 3D ultimately has several issues that make it impractical for me to use.

1. The bigest dawback is that with the 2D one can always find a work around by placing items on top of the VA section/plan view such as hatches or planes, its difficult to do this with the 3D. Please keep us posted on this!

2. The 3D cannot be shared with people working on cad.

3 . The 3D only really works in hidden and wireframe which means :
The 3D cannot show hidden lines.
The 3D cannot have textures, gradients or transparencies as hidden

I have emailed you the model which I created the in Rhino 5 and have been working with in Rhino 6.

best

Hi Sean,
Your arguments to prefer 2D drawings vs 3D model in section make sense.

Can you show an example where you need to place a hatch or a plane on top of the plan/section view that can’t be done with the 3D model in section?

That’s true. We need to allow exporting page layouts to dwg to beat this argument.

3a) That’s true. We might add this feature in future versions.
3b) This is only possible with Raster output, so the same limitations exist when you print 2D drawings.

The Hidden display mode is meant to be used for printing to vector output. I’ve printed (in vector output) the same page as you did with your model, and here you can see the results:2D-3D Printing comparision.pdf (673.4 KB)

As you can see, you get the same quality printing the model in 3D plan view than in 2D plan view. In Wireframe you get a similar quality but you also see the isocurves and wall joints, which is something you might not want to show.

HI FSALLA

Is there a way to get hidden lines like the technical rhino display or make 2D RHINO in VisualArq?

Here is an example of the output I was speaking about in earlier mail.

As you will see the blue windows can exist in VA 2D because my output display was on shaded.

They cant exist with all my lines in wire frame or hidden as hidden or wire frame does not support textures or planes.

So the point is I can make VA make 2D and then draw over them to get textures gradients etc.
How would one do that in 3d ?

EXAMPLEVECGTOR.pdf (898.9 KB)

Hi Fsalla

I don’t know if I should start a new topic. But could you please check that model I sent you. I’m trying to assign tags to the columns but they don’t seem to be working.

I tried adding tags to a different custom column profile and it works fine, so I don’t understand why mine doesn’t work?

This is not possible now. But we have planned to add this feature in future versions.

You could merge a raster image of a section/elevation in Shaded/Rendered mode with a generated 2D section/elevation view in vector output. This a workaround that requires some manual “postproduction”, since it is not possible to do it automatically. If you want to do this in Rhino:

1. Print the Elevation/Section you wish as an Image File using the display mode you like (Rendered if you want to show textures and shadows).
  2. Generate the same Elevation/Section with the vaSectionView command.
  3. Insert the image generated before as background of the Section View (use the _Picture command for that). Scale it accordingly.
  4. Using Hidden display mode, print the view to vector output. (either from the Model space or from Page Layout).
1 Like

OK I get it. Sounds good I’m going to try that!

The lines you get from 3D view are definitely cleaner and it also helps to reduce file sizes.

@fsalla Fsalla did you see my question about tags? I cant seem to tag those columns. And yet I tried using a different custom profile and it worked ?

Thanks again for all the info.

Hi Sean,
We are analyzing why tags are not visible for those columns. I’ll get back to you when we know more.

Great thanks. It’s not urgent.