VisualArq objects on speckle

Hello!

I raised the following issue on speckle.community here. Perhaps anyone from Asuni can comment on what might be done to improve VisualArq compatibility with speckle?

I started experimenting with speckle 2.0 and tried to send some VisualArq objects (e.g., a slab and a few columns) from within Rhino to the speckle server. From the results on the browser I figure that VisualArq objects may not be supported. The objects seem to be placed on the origin (perhaps they are all overlapped) and there are some points on the locations where they were inserted in the model. I imagine this must be related with how VisualArq creates the objects as blocks.

So the question is what can be done to improve the compatibility of VisualArq with speckle?

Hi @Filipe_Brandao,

I’ve answered directly in the Speckle forum:

Thanks,

Enric

1 Like

Hello @enric can you have a look at the issue discussed in the speckle forum?

Objects which are exported to a speckle stream from VisualArq don’t return as original VA objects. I can add you to a stream if you like.

I’m wondering if the rhino connector is not enough…is a VA connector needed?

Best,

Hi @Filipe_Brandao,

Unfortunately, this is something taht we cannot fix on our side. Speckle can use VisualARQ API to decompose and compose again VisualARQ objects.

Regards,

Enric

Hello from Speckle!

I think what we’d need to chat through is having a Speckle converter for VisualARQ that would be able to create native visual arq elements. Since Rhino doesn’t come with it by default, we don’t tackle it. To be upfront about it, we’re really stretched out at the moment and won’t be able to prioritise this soon, but we do welcome contributions as all our stuff is open source:

VisualArq is in a strange place for us: it’s basically a whole new authoring software (that we don’t support) within an existing authoring software that we support (Rhino).

What would help us @Filipe_Brandao is to understand what workflows you’re having in mind when sending VisualArq objects around! For example, do you want to send them from Rhino to Rhino, or simply view them in the browser, or collaborate with multiple teams, or from Rhino/VisualArq to Revit, etc.

1 Like

Hello @idid! Thanks for dropping by.

I’m looking into ways of sharing the models with colleagues working in the same project using different software (Revit and ArchiCad) and engineers (Revit). Here we would need to send back and forth VA objects, and convert Revit and ArchiCad objects into VA and vice-versa. This is the top priority.

A second use-case is to show the model in a browser for client review and retrieve comments back.

On the bottom of the list is internal use, from VA/Rhino - VA/Rhino. This is something that might percolate into the design process when we are very familiar with the versioning system and confident that everything flows without hicks.

1 Like