Visual Studio 2019

Can be used for plugin development, or better stick with 2017?

1 Like

We use 2017 still. Feel free to try and report, though. You’ll have to make sure you use toolset v141

Hello,

Microsoft stopped providing Visual Studio Community 2017, now only Community 2019 is available.

Will be possible to compile our C++ plug-ins against the VS 2019 compiler in the near future? I remember reading somewhere that breaking changes done to the Rhino 6 SDK were such that it would be compatible with at least the Rhino 7 SDK (which will be I guess 2019 compiled?).

Microsoft does not provide the library binaries since at least VS2017, which means that developers who don’t have the Enterprise subscription are forced to move to VS2019 and cannot install VS2017.

Pablo

– Dale

1 Like

Didn’t see that before :sweat_smile:, thank you.

Pablo

This is what I get when I click on download for the 2017 version…

edit: Never mind. I joined the “Visual Studio Dev Essentials”.

1 Like

Hello,

We intend to change in the near future from VS 2015 to Visual Studio 2019, to develop our C++ applications. We would like to know if we still have to use Visual Studio 2017 to develop C++ plugins using Rhino 6 SDK. If your answer is yes, what happens with Rhino 7 SDK, now WIP? Will it be possible in the near future to compile C++ plugins in VS 2019?

Many thanks for your reply.

Anca

Hi @AncaG,

You can use VS2019 to build C++ plug-in for Rhino 6. Just make sure the project uses the Visual Studio 2017 (v141) platform toolset.

– Dale

1 Like

Hi @dale

I have installed VS2019 and VS2017 (v141) toolset. Rhino 6 SDK installer still complains I don’t have VS2017 installed. How can I workaround it? Or, do I need to install VS2017 anyway?

Thanks,

Yes, you will probably need to do this. The SDK installer looks for this version.

– Dale

1 Like

Got it. Thanks!