When is Rhino SDK going to be ported to VS Studio 2015 or higher?

Are there any plans for a new release of Rhino that will support SDK with Visual Studio 2015 or above?
I know that it only support VS 2010 now, but am interested on when it will support higher versions of Visual Studio. I am not sure that I can buy VS 2010 anymore.

Rhino WIP is VS 2017.

C++ plug-ins have to be compiled with the same version of Visual Studio that Rhino is compiled with. For that reason, we won’t support newer versions of Visual Studio for Rhino 5 C++ plug-in development. I believe you should be able to access older versions of Visual Studio with an MSDN subscription.

.NET plug-ins can be compiled using any version of Visual Studio.

1 Like

nathaneletwory, Thanks. Do you know when is it scheduled to be will Rhino WIP is scheduled to be delivered? I understand that it is unstable right now.

Also, I have Rhino 5.0 at work. Will I be able to update to Rhino VS 2017 once it is finished, or will I need to buy another copy?

Thanks,

CC

Steve Baer, thanks for the reply. I understand the dependency of Rhino 5.0 x64 on VS 2010. I didn’t know you were working on a new version of Rhino under VS 2017.

Just to clarify, to write plug-in in C++ for Rhino 5 you will need:

• Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (for Rhino 5 for Windows 64-bit).
  • Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 (for Rhino 5 for Windows 32-bit).

Visual C++ 2008, 2012, 2013, ,2015, and 2017 will not work

https://developer.rhino3d.com/guides/cpp/installing-tools-windows/

To write C++ plug-ins for Rhino 6, you will need Microsoft Visual Studio 2017.

Rhino - Installing Tools (Windows)

Hope this helps.

– Dale

1 Like

Sorry. Yes Rhino 5.0 x64 is developed in VS 2010. Thanks!