ViewCapture crashes Rhino in Arctic

Hi,

Has anyone else experience this?
If i switch to Arctic mode and try to capture to file or to clipboard, Rhino crashes without any dialog afterwards. (my file is quite large and made mostly out of meshes)

Version 6 SR24
(6.24.20079.23341, 20/03/19) (Windows10)

Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t see that here, but I’m running a slightly newer build - the SR25 RC. Can you run SystemInfo and copy/paste the results here?

Hi @Helvetosaur,

I’m quite convinced that this might be a specific problem. It was working perfect and at one point it started to crash. The only thing that I’ve done was to uninstall Enscape. Not sure if this can be related.

SystemInfo below:

Rhino 6 SR24 2020-3-19 (Rhino 6, 6.24.20079.23341, Git hash:master @ 064283610b834170e52117f2656605b5b25d65c0)
License type: Commercial, build 2020-03-19
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Bogdan Chipara ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 7.9Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-E8LHASN

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel® HD Graphics 520 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 9-26-2018 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GPU (NVidia) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 3-1-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 419.35

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-1-2019
Driver Version: 25.21.14.1935
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.24.20079.23341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.24.20079.23341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\PanelingTools (6caed836-bc06-4ebc-b1fd-e10886a0dc94)\2017.11.17.800\PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.24.20079.23341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.24.20079.23341
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros 6\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Well, I would still update both your video drivers… the NVidia driver is over a year old.

ok, I updated my drivers to
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GPU (NVidia) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 4-3-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 445.87

So now Viewcapture in arctic doesn’t crash Rhino anymore, but, some other custom display modes that i’ve created based on arctic still produce a crash.

How do display modes work? I notice that sometimes custom displays produce different results on different machines. Are they related to graphic drivers?

Thanks!

Maybe you can export one or two of those custom modes that crash and post them here so someone can test?

Sure, that would be great. Here are two that always crash.
DiagramArcticLight Thick.ini (11.4 KB) DiagramArcticLight.ini (11.5 KB)

They should look like this:

Also I think that display modes are highly under-evaluated right now. They can produce nice diagrams very fast. Like line drawing with a little bit of shadow, as the one above. I think they deserve some"Display mode editor" separated from options.

Arctic with edges is also good for producing 3d fragments as the one below.
The gradient could be more smooth though…

Neither one of those display modes crashes here. I see you also have V-Ray (I don’t here) - is it possible that the the objects have V-Ray materials? Do the crashes still happen if you unload V-Ray?

I disabled V-Ray and still I get the same crash.

Hello - are you capturing viewport resolution or some custom or scaled resolution?

-Pascal

Hi @pascal. I capture custom resolution, scaled 1. But I tested also Viewport resolution and I get the same crash.

I will most likely redo these custom display modes starting with Arctic on default settings.

@Bogdan_Chipara - are you submitting your crash dumps? If no, please do so. If so, then what is the email address you are using when you submit?

– Dale

Hi @dale, I don’t.

The “rhino has crashed” window, for submitting the dump, doesn’t show up.

A post was split to a new topic: Viewcapture preview and output in Arctic is full black