Video suggestions? hit me

As many of you know I’ve been doing demo videos for a while now-

I always sketch up with something myself then build it…

Thought I’d take a leap here and ask you what you want to see built-

feel free to post a sketch or two in this thread, and I’ll pick a few to use for an upcoming video.

rules:
no copyrighted material-

Can’t build someone elses “thing”

original copyright free designs only.

remember, I only have an hour or so to build these, so don’t go crazy on me, and don’t get mad if I simplify or redesign bits of it along the way.

2 Likes

Hey Kyle,
i cant attach these products images but something alike them in terms of complexity…

1. Logitech G G435
    2.Steelseries Headphones
    3.Logitech gaming mice
    4.Meta/Microsoft vr devices.

Something at their par in terms of complexity with nurbs approach.

this dive mask video may help with a vr headset-

I’ll do some pondering on the others- thanks for the suggestions.

Hi Kyle,

How about some Murano glass animals? Organic forms and lighting challenges. Unusual Rhino subjects. Or - from the sublime to the ridiculous - what about a snow dome?

Cheers
Jeremy

1 Like

Something with a really interesting function.

One thing that I think has really important surfacing approach is something like the wingtip fence:

Imgur

It’s really interesting, as you have to maintain good curvature smoothness, while making blends into the vertical surfaces. There maybe are also Y blends there into the main wing.

2 Likes

@sgreenawalt would be the guy to do that video… he’s the resident pro on all things airplane.

Something that demystifies Grasshopper for people coming from the direction Rhino UI.

Something that combines operational/procedural problems which can be implemented easily in Grasshoper, into some other model we have using Rhino.

Maybe like… a small all-in-one Hi-Fi. The case can be modelled in Rhino, and the speaker grille with holes done in Grasshopper?

1 Like

I need someone to demystify grasshopper for me first…

4 Likes

Car tyres with different tread patterns. That would be useful to many perhaps? Could include some of the sidewall textures or detail for text.

1 Like

I’ll just show you my patch layout when I’m done David… :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh here’s one I’ve been meaning to do but too busy to do - a towering figure in the Rhino tutorial landscape, truly one for the ages. How about redoing the rubber ducky for Subd? For me, it was the first thing I ever made in Rhino, and therefore has a special place in my heart.

3 Likes

Yes - more bio/lifeform modeling examples would be pretty interesting. I was going to suggest a shark - which I imagine might have similarities to some aircraft design issues, but probably with unique elements like less clear divisions between regions. Could be a good SubD topic?

For a subd shark tutorial u can check out pc sim he had done a shark in subd some time back

Hahaha! I knew you were working on a plane, but it didn’t click at all. What is the likelihood! :rofl:

Alright, so wing fences are covered.

here is something I would like to understand how you masters of Rhino patch layout would approach. Knowing Sky’s love for planes here is a tail section of a glider. I worked my way around but I am not really satisfied with the patch layout. There are many constraints as far as lines that need to be at least tangent between the fuselage, the fin and the rudder. The patch i dont really like is the area in blu. I would really appreciate any hints on how you would do it. A tutorial like the one Sky did on how to solve a three sided hole on the DC3 nose cone would be great. I am not a designer by trade and the only reason I picked up cad design many years ago is because of my love for airplanes. Thanks to you all
tail section for rhino forum.3dm (7.0 MB)

love this-

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about doing an intro to Grasshopper for product designers video, esp for you @theoutside

There was a bunch of work flow in your last video that was PERFECT for GH enhancement.

I think I’ve told you in the past that 90% of my Rhino work seems to involve SubD ‘bodywork’ combined with NURBs ‘hardpoints’. Very much like your controller build.

GH is the killer app in this workflow.

Cheers

DK

1 Like

I’d be happy to send you the model and let you do your thing to it!

Dear @theoutside
I would love to see some advices / strategies / how to, for complex transitions - where you mostly end up with a 3 side or 5 side hole. Or with a corner that has 3 or more surfaces that should fit continuous (g1 / g2) to each other.

One example is the lower end of the handle of this detergent bottle.
(can send more photos if you re interested)

or the hairdryer discussed here:

where @Gijs used a solution with xnurbs - but a really nice, “vanilla rhino surface” solution is missing.

another discussion

I have to admit, most times I tell my students to use xnurbs or parasolid via plasticity, or onshape to get a fast design / concept result.
… still missing the “complex transitions - ultimate workflow guide”

(talking about nurbs workflows - not subD)

kind regards - tom

hey @Tom_P this type of bottle is well detailed in the level 2 manual- but it’s likely worth doing a build video on-

see exercise 11-2 making the detergent bottle in the level 2 manual under help>tutorials and samples >level 2 manual.