NEW RHINO VIDEOS : Suggest a topic -- and win a prize!

Lynda.com has asked me to develop a series of mini-demos, which are stand-alone tutorials and not part of a big course.

Is there any feature or tool you want to see covered in Dave-style detail … and under ten minutes?

I want to make sure these are topics people want to see, so STEP UP! Make a suggestion here and I’ll consider any and all ideas.

The first batch will be released once weekly, starting May 9th. Each one will be 100% free for the first week of release, so stay tuned for more details when we get closer.

EDIT / UPDATE: My Lynda contact has given me some generous gift passes! If I use your suggestion, you will get a three-months FREE subscription as my thanks to you.

2 Likes

Compare different commands for making surfaces. Show at least one dozen examples of surfaces and explain why specific command is best for making specific surface.

By the way, someone should make long video comparing strengths and weaknesses of major mechanical CAD programs.

2 Likes

Cool idea! I did something ‘sorta’ similar in this video. You do have to be a member to watch, but here is a link for 10-days free.

curves, creating good curve work, orienting and joining curves which are in 3d space rather than planar, and explaining what good continuity is and how to achieve this :slight_smile:

My list:

1. Understanding and working with CPlanes and their relation to views/viewports
  2. All the possibilities of Gumball
  3. Object type selection commands and selection filters
  4. How to create your own custom display mode
  5. Fun with CurveBoolean

–Mitch

5 Likes

I like Mitch’s suggestions. Most newbies struggle with those topics.

Here are a few I’d watch:

1. How to use and interpret the curve analysis tool.
  2. A clear explanation of degrees of curvature and when to use which degree and why.
  3. How to fix “broken” stuff. For instance, I frequently read on the forum that something needs to be exploded and re-trimmed or otherwise rebuilt but it’s always far from clear to me when this needs to be done.
  4. How to fix failed booleans! (I know it’s been covered here frequently but another point of view is always useful.)

I’m a “graduate” of your Rhino 5 Essential Training course which I found quite helpful.

Dennis

1 Like

Subd… Oh wait.

Creating your own optimized workflow: Aliases, Macro’s and display modes.

-Replacing a fillet with a blend using BlendSrf. Exploring all it’s controls to have a clean and controlled blend all around your object
-Tricks to make a fillet when you shouldn’t be able to, like around a corner that has a smaller radius than your fillet. Sometimes you have to do it, no matter what…
-Using “ApplyShutling” and “ApplyEdgeSoftening” effectively and when it makes sense

I think it would be a good idea to show people how to use layout space to create a simple drawing/layout:

1. How to create a new layout
  2. Set up scaled viewports, tab names
  3. Sheet title block and text fields
  4. Simple things like print display, dimension scaling, line type scaling, hide in view etc
  5. Raster vs. Vector and how to add a PictureFrame to a vector print…
  6. Using white viewport outlines and white solid hatches to obscure bits you don’t want to see
  7. Creating a multi page PDF from tabs

Andy

1 Like

How to create Rhino Models that can be 3d printed. How to use the Edge Analysis tool to find gaps. How to make a closed polysurface. Best overall techniques. How to mesh a model for 3d printing. How to use the mesh analysis tool to repair a mesh. What is a .stl file. Basics of 3d printing so you can model for a print.

2 Likes

These topics (6 of 7!) were covered in my latest course Architectural Documentation & Presentation in Rhino. See Chapter 2 / Project Documentation.

There are 5 videos on the layouts … but let me know if there is anything missing. Trying to make layouts easy to understand was the hardest part of writing that course. Yowza! (Let’s just say there is a HUGE opportunity to make them better in v 6.)

Not a member? Link for 10-days free.

1 Like

Brian James already made good video tutorial: Hello Gumball! on Vimeo

1 Like

NICE! There are a few excellent ideas here. I can see using at least one or two! You win the first one.

Please email me directly and I will send back the gift subscription PDF. Please mention your Rhino screen name so I can keep things straight. Send to dave(at)schultzeworks.com

BTW. There is no limit to the suggestions. I have enough gift codes and can get more.

This is an excellent idea … and I can see this helping a lot of people. You get a gift subscription!

Please email me directly and I will send back the gift subscription PDF. Please mention your Rhino screen name so I can keep things straight. Send to dave(at)schultzeworks.com

BTW. There is no limit to the suggestions. I have enough gift codes and can get more.

Rhino help file, ChangeDegree command, bottom half of the page is titled “Degree.” It explains the relationship between degree and number of bends in the curve. (degree minus one = number of bends) You always keep the degree as low as possible.

1 Like

The curve analysis tool can be mysterious, so I agree and accept your challenge. I will figure it out and make a clear demo. You’re getting a gift subscription.

See Troubleshooting Booleans in the Rhino 5 Essential Training course.

Thank you. This is an excellent visual … even though they use Comic Sans font, HACK-hack WTF cough-COUGH!

Great idea / ideas! This is at least one video topic in here for sure. You win a gift subscription.

You should also look at Chapter 15 ‘Prototyping’ in the course Rhino 5 Essential Training. (It is old and can be better.) Not a member? Use your gift subscription, dude!

EDIT / UPDATE: gift code sent. Please let me know you have received it.

There are lots of great suggestions already in this thread, hopefully I won’t repeat too many.

• An explanation of tolerances - how to set an appropriate tolerance, why you need to do so and how it effects your model while you work and downstream.

• Curves - I’d like to see an in depth explanation of how you specify curves. It could touch on the much discussed topic of class A; what are the pros and cons of working with single span higher order curves as opposed to lower order multi-span. Why are some degrees commonly used and others not, why are degrees above 7 rarely used.

• Curve analysis - I’d like a better understanding of how to interpret the results.

• Curve optimisation - Your strategy for rebuilding curves, what to aim for when using rebuild, what other tools help to produce good quality curves.

• Gumball - I tend to only use it for moving things around, I know it can be used for much more. I’d like to learn how.

• Point Editing - this is often mentioned as the key to building good surfaces by the masters that post here, I’d like to learn more about it. What tools to use, how to match edges manually. An in depth video focusing on point editing in 3D space would be really helpful.

I look forward to the new videos on Lynda. The long training courses are great but finding the time to watch them can be tough, these shorts bite size tutorials sound like a great idea.