VIDEO : Rhino Screen Capture Strategies

How do you make nice images before you are ready to render? Easy! Use these simple Rhino settings to make a clean and punchy screen capture. Now you can document your progress and share your work with others, and avoid embarrassing yourself with cheesy-looking default nonsense.
Running time = 07:41.

More free videos at professor3d website

2 Likes

Very interesting presentation, thank you :+1:

Very good tip to use the hyphen before ViewCaptureToFile, hadnā€™t encountered that one before. I like the option to increase the resolution and have a transparent background. That will definitely come in handy.

Many thanks for doing these videos.

There is an Astute plugin for Illustrator called ā€œsmart remove brush toolā€ that intelligently removes points and simplifies curves without changing the original intended curve. Rhino needs something like that tool to fix the offset issue that produces such a gross number of points to create a curve.
But it seems to me that is a totally unacceptable situation regarding the offset command that requires a ā€œhackā€. Do other 3D modeling software out there do the same thing with such multiple points when offsetting curves?

I think you answered in the wrong thread hereā€¦ Maybe you can repost your message under the correct one. I donā€™t have the privileges to move posts. --Mitch

wouldnā€™t it be easier to use the settings in -ViewCaptureToFile to control the grid visibility as well as give a transparent background (will appropriate file typeā€¦ .png or .tiff) ?

with a transparent background, you donā€™t have to worry about matching rhinoā€™s background color with the final document color (in your example-- white)ā€¦ you could lay it over any color and only the object will be visible.

(on mac but i imagine windows has these same options available in -ViewCaptureToFile)

I often use various screen captures for visualization. One tip I would add to make this a tiny bit easier is to make custom viewport settings for the various settings and looks that you want to capture.

That way, instead of constantly turning things off and back on, one can simply select the appropriate custom viewport from the drop-down viewport menu and you are ready to go:

To go back to the standard view settings, just re-select it from the drop down menu.

1 Like

That is a great idea! I have my own personal settings as well, but didnā€™t even think about mentioning it because the school where I teach has tight computer security. You can change options, but settings get wiped out when you log off.

The topic should make a nice separate video, so Iā€™ll add it to the list.

Great point. I am more used to doing a screen capture at the default size ā€¦ and only needing the ā€˜-ViewCaptureToFileā€™ for changing sizes.

The posters here always have great suggestions! My challenge for these videos is to keep it short and sweet and mostly focused on beginners. Its too easy to keep adding extra options because I love to over-explain and go on and onā€¦

rightā€¦ leave out all the bits about making layers black, background color changes, turning off the grid, etcā€¦ shorter and sweeter :smile:

(jkā€¦ i know there are a bunch of ways to get the same resultsā€¦ whatā€™s best for me isnā€™t best for everybody etcā€¦ just discussing is all)

These settings are used for my class. I found it extremely powerful to give students very specific requirements. You know right away if they missed something ā€“ and it separates the subjective design part from the technical modelling / basic ā€˜following directionsā€™ part.

You should have seen the amazing weirdness I used to get before I made these requirements. I had people (trying to) post their entire Rhino file or Windows ALT+Print Screen images inside of an Illustrator file at our online class forum. I found that if I ask for something specific, I have to give specific examples and how-to steps.

Thereā€™s just too much to learn, so I had to ā€˜up my gameā€™ with support and organization.

Dave,
Thank you for this information and starting this thread many great ways for me to play with my screen captures which I do all of the time.

All my best ā€¦ Danny

Great video Dave, I use these techniques for my work flow!

ignore this post,ā€¦

i donā€™t know why none of the options come out after i put save,can someone help me?

If screen capturing is needed, than Jareks tools is one of the best helper too. Itā€™s a pity that his block entry canā€™t be found anymore, only here it is available:
http://development.food4rhino.com/project/multi-view-capture?etx

I use matcaps :smile:

Not only for presentation but during modelling :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for telling the freaking name of this type of map! Been searching for things like ā€œshperical environmentā€ etcā€¦
Also, does anyone know the name of the ā€œtypeā€ of map that the default shaded display uses? The ā€œvertical stripe mapā€?

@schultzeworks Your tips should be enforced to everyone making tutorials too, videos look way better without them.

Thank you! I appreciate that. Good tutorials take more than just good content. Youā€™ve got to have an ability to ā€˜not knowā€™ what you already know ā€“ and explain the material logically & clearly enough that someone new gets it quickly. It also helps if you have quality recording equipment and know how to edit. I also recommend doing a second or third take; its amazing that you can cut a video in half if you just do it again ā€“ and get to the point!

I always appreciate when people make videos ā€¦ but ā€¦ it can be annoying when its WAY TOO long because they didnā€™t bother to edit. Or, when you have trouble understanding them due to a crappy mike or dogs barking in the background.

1 Like