Verticraft DDRH96

1995-96 was the year when this project born, it was the first hybrid helicopter concept having an interesting and very intriguing combination between electric motors and a turbine power generator. This compact power-plant could produce enough power to power-up the entire system; electric rotor (electro-rotors) included.
The idea of course I imagined and sketched with my colored pens, was since then, to conceive a full electric helicopter provided with electric motors, perhaps powered by a battery system or any other power source, but capable to produce enough electricity to make it fly. Unfortunately, I realized soon that it was quite impossible in those years going forward with such crazy ideas since no electric motor of that kind was yet available.
There weren’t yet any type of batteries I needed for my helicopter, and those available at the time were quite heavy having a very short autonomy. All that was frustrating and turned my project into a stupid and imaginary exercise, since I would never find a reasonable solution for the problem; at least not until 1996.
Of course, there were some advantages, no more transmission; maintenance as simple as possible, low noise, and other positive aspects. And all this stimulated me every time I thought about that, wishing to go back again on the idea.
The APU (Auxiliary-Power-Unit) is a simple electric generator that feeds the entire airplane in all its electronic devices, since the power absorbed by the aircraft is considerably high and no type of battery, may support such a large amount of energy, further batteries would be heavy and therefore inconvenient to carry up in flight.
So my idea was always since the beginning to develop a technological combination consisted of a turbine-gas-generator connected through an electronic digital control with four electrical motors mounted on independent rotors. This would allow me to design a machine rather interesting, a transmission-less aircraft, replacing that complex and heavy gearboxes with cables, instead of heavy shafts, and that would offer a number of endless possibilities, making this aircraft a unique example from many points of view.
The helicopter was provided with a small turbo-generator capable to generate a power of about 240 hp (178Kw) 100% output power, while the four electric motors were housed in pairs of two inside special shells, in the DDRH, while the DDVL was provided only of two electric motors, more compact and powerful, directly connected with the two (five blades) rotors. The electro-rotors could absorb a maximum output power not exceeding 220kw (295Cv) each, enough power to guarantee a safe and comfortable flight based on the high-quality performance of the aircraft.
The digital control system was housed in the central compartment which included an inverter and a special battery capable of ensuring a **constant flight between 7 and 10 minutes in case of engine failure.
The DDRH/DDVL’s rotors look pretty much different from that of a common helicopter. They are capable of a tilting movement that can reach a maximum excursion up to 15° either forward or backward. Rotors are not provided with any cyclic plate, having only a collective pitch control.
This aircraft can be also controlled via a remote station in that special task where pilot is not necessary or at high risk.

3 Likes