Vertex osnap snapping many times in areas of no objects

Hi,
I am placing lines on a mesh, so as to be ‘on’ the mesh I have vertex osnap turned on, however the cursor is making little snaps all over the grid beyond the mesh, as if I had a command 1/50th grid divisions snapto. running.
Turn off vertex and its now just smooth across that area of nothing.

so just moving it about is crazy. like trying to walk a dog through a forest when he wants to mark every tree !

Is there a command to lay a line as best fit a mesh surface, where the surface should be planar but is a tad textured ?

Steve

Hi Steve - Set a CPlane parallel the the mesh ‘plane’, draw the curve in the plane and Project it to the mesh.

-Pascal

Hi,
V5
When the curve (straight line) is projected to the mesh the curve will take on the slight wriggly nature of the mesh, or am I mistaken ?
I wanted a best fit straight line through the planarish mesh surface.

As asked, and making moving cursor straight, or just generally about, very frustrating, why is it when vertex osnap is turned on the cursor snap point is snapping away at all sorts of things that don’t exist between grid lines ? Its like trying to walk a dog who likes trees to piddle on, through a dense woodland !

Steve

Hello - not sure exactly what all that is, but if you have projected a curve onto a mesh and would like a best fot line, turn on points for the prjected curve, select the points and run LineThroughPt.

-Pascal

Hi, LineThroughPt very useful, using it lots when creating a line on what should be a planar surface and that surface is a slightly ripply mesh. make section, add points, LineThroughPts…very useful :slight_smile:

I have asked a few times, yet to know what is happening here still…
If I turn on vertex osnap,. my cursor, well away from any mesh, is snapping to invisible locations in between grid lines. Why is it doing that ?

What is the solution as moving it about is like trying to walk a dog in woodland thats obsessed with trees !

Steve