V8 SR3: denoiser activated in every document, for every renderer

just updated to 8.3.24009.15001 and 8.3.24009.15002 and I find that the denoiser is being activated for the viewports of my render plugin in every new or existing document, even though I return false for RenderFeature.PostEffects

this means my user has to switch the viewport to Raytraced, in order to get the page shown in viewport properties, select the viewport, go to the Post Effects viewport properties page, disable the denoiser, and then switch back to my display mode

that seems to handle viewports, but it also now appears impossible to use the Render command at all without the denoiser being enabled; even if I do as described above, when I then use the Render command, the denoiser is once again enabled in the Post Effects tab of the Render window

this is the case regardless of the renderer – open a new model using no template, and with Rhino Render as current renderer, enable Raytraced in a view in order to disable the denoiser, and then hit Render – the denoiser will be enabled in the Render window Post Effects tab

post effects issues like this have been popping up for years, so please take this opportunity to review the post effects code and rework it once and for all such that it is made impossible for any post effects ever to be applied when the renderer (and not the current renderer – the renderer that is giving you the pixels, whether in a viewport or the render window) has requested they not be

1 Like

Thanks JD - we’ll fix that.

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve made a couple of fixes in this area today that should show up in the Release Candidate in the next few days.

just updated to 8.3.24009.15001 and 8.3.24009.15002 and I find that the denoiser is being activated for the viewports of my render plugin in every new or existing document, even though I return false for RenderFeature.PostEffects

This should be fixed now in our codebase, although there is a bug which allows the user to still toggle them on manually through the HUD Star icon.

that seems to handle viewports, but it also now appears impossible to use the Render command at all without the denoiser being enabled; even if I do as described above, when I then use the Render command, the denoiser is once again enabled in the Post Effects tab of the Render window

I can see the issue that the Denoise post-effect is checked when Rendering, but for me no denoising was actually happening. We are working on not showing the post-effect UI in the Render window in cases where they are not supported.

this is the case regardless of the renderer – open a new model using no template, and with Rhino Render as current renderer, enable Raytraced in a view in order to disable the denoiser, and then hit Render – the denoiser will be enabled in the Render window Post Effects tab

This is currently still the case with the UI, but in our codebase no denoising should now be happening.

Thank you for reporting these - and as you know there is still more work to do.

Regards,
-David

1 Like

thanks for the quick response, guys

just had a user come asking me why his render is so dark once he is ready for final rendering and sends the scene out to our gui – and the reason is, apparently he was using cycles in this scene, and had set a multiplier in the post effects; switching back to bella, the post effects page is (correctly) not shown in the viewport properties, but the multiplier is applied regardless

he is on v7, but the same occurs still on v8

Hi @jdhill,

In the very latest Rhino 8 SR 4 version (released 13 hours ago) this should be fixed, but there is still a minor issue with it: If you switch to Bella real-time display mode, then before that you should also switch the Current Renderer to be Bella. This way it will correctly not execute post effects.

Of course, needing to manually switch current renderer to Bella before switching to Bella real-time display mode is a bug which needs to be fixed. In Rhino 7 I guess the only way is to manually disable the post-effect before switching to Bella.

-David

1 Like

thanks a lot David, I’ll check it out when it gets into an official service release (sorry, but I can’t run candidates)