V6 no more live material vport update?

Hi All,

Over here in Rhino 6 I no longer see a live Vport update while changing material properties, as it used to be in V5. This was extremely helpful to tweak the look of the model. Now I have to close/apply every time to see the changes. Can it be fixed to work again?

Also, is there any way to get rid of the auto-updated-rendered material preview? It is not very helpful, rather annoying and the tiny-bit of a slowdown it causes with every material tweak gets in the way of smooth work.

Thanks,

–jarek

Hi Jarek - here, I see say, color changes, as soon as I make them, color picker still open… is that what you mean?

-Pascal

Yes, here I get no such live update in V6.

Hm - that seems wrong… let me ask around here, what people see…

At what point do you see the update? Do you need to exit the color picker? I don’t know if anything has changed in that area in the latest here, but it is possible, I don’t remember three weeks ago very well…

So far, my test sample of 1 also reports instant change in 6.7 - Jarek are you updating to release candidates, or 6.6?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Nothing updates until I close the dialog.
This is on SR8 (daily build):

Aha - layer material - let me try that. Yeah, you need to exit the dialogs, but as far as I can see it is the same in V5.

-Pascal

Yes, layer material, this is 99% of what we use materials for. Per-object materials work interactively OK in V6.
In V5 it auto-updates the layer material as well (except the initial go when you change layer material from Default to custom. Then Custom one upates live. That’s what I am missing in V6…)

Right, thanks, got it now - I was stopping at the ‘first go’ in V5. I’ll buggify.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-47387

thanks,
-Pascal

Great, thanks for co-testing it!

There have been a huge amount of changes to the code surrounding the Layer Material dialog since V5 and it looks like the live update feature got overlooked. I’ll get on this right now and try to get a fix out for the next service release.

John

Hi John,

Thanks! We have one other wish that may be somehow related to this - not sure if this is similar mechanism.
It would be also helpful if the same live update was visible while changing the Layer Color (with every color-picker move). Is that something you could implement as well ?

It’s been logged here a while ago:
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-36274

Thanks again,

–jarek

Hi Jarek,

I’m afraid the Layer Color is a completely different system to the Layer Material Color and is not something I can personally comment on or fix.

The ability to disable the automatic preview rendering was accidentally omitted from the Layer Material preview menu (it exists on most other menus in similar UIs). I will try to get this fixed as well.

John

Hi John,

I see, thanks for the explanation. I see the way to close the automatic preview in Materials panel (don’t know how to bring it back though!), but not in Layers or in Materials tab in Object Properties… So, yes, would be handy to be able to close/disable it in these places, as well.

–jarek

I have just committed a fix for these problems:

• The live update now works in the Layer Material dialog and the Modal Material Editor.

• The Layer Material drop-down now has the menu items to allow preview updating to be disabled. See the attached picture.

These fixes will appear in Rhino 6 SR9 which should be released on August 28th.

John

1 Like

John - thanks! much appreciated.

Hi John,

I just tested the update (got daily build). All works well. There is one more thing that would be good to tweak: currently when I assign a new material to layer from the material list, it will not update in on the objects until I click OK and close the material dialog. Could it work instantly? Now the real-time preview works only on pre-assigned material changes.

thanks,

–jarek

Hi Jarek,

That sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately it’s very difficult to do, and at this late stage in Rhino 6 it’s too risky to attempt it. However, we will definitely tackle it in the future. I’ll file a bug report for it.

John

Hi John, thanks for letting me know.
These continuing small improvements and tweaks and attention to detail make Rhino the great software it is!