I have been working on redoing Make2d for version 6 of Rhino and I just wanted to let people know what I’ve been up to and get input from users about bugs.
I have rewritten most of the Make2d code from scratch. The major goals of this rewrite are:
- Get the Hidden/Visible/Duplicate classification right for Make2d curves.
- Improve the speed of Make2d
- Don’t chop curves into little tiny segments
- Add support for meshes.
- Provide SDK interfaces to the silhouette generation, hidden line drawing and Make2d command.
- Provide a solid base to enhanced Make2d functions.
Basically the goal is to get the Make2d functions implemented well. After that is achieved we can start adding features. Right now I’m just trying to get Make2d to work the way it was supposed to work in V5. I know the interface to this command can use some improvement but I want to get the calculation performed correctly first.
Since I started from scratch I have made many steps backward before I started to make forward progress. There are a lot of bugs in the code now and I need your help to identify and prioritize the bugs that are there. The good news is that the code is more maintainable and I am committed to making this work. Your bugs will not languish in a big pile, while no development resources are put on the project.
The one major piece of functionality that is not currently there is clipping plane support. This will get added back in.
People will notice that multiprocessor support is also missing. I designed the new code with multiprocessor support in mind, and I have experimented with this. I am not quite ready to hook it into the Make2d command. So I think there are plenty of issues we can focus on for now.
I look forward to your comments and bug reports.
Robert McNeel & Associates