V6 Bug - Mesh Edge Selection Visibility/Color Problems

Hello,
I have been experiencing some strangeness with mesh edge visibility and graphics when changing a mesh’s layer. It appears that the yellow selection color persists on the mesh after I deselect. The issue persists after re-opening the model. In some cases, I have seen mesh edges disappear entirely after re-opening.

Strangely enough, changing the mesh back to some layers corrects the issue.

I have attached a file that shows the issue with a mesh and also a layer that appears to be problematic: V6MeshBug.3dm (239.9 KB)

Here is a mesh object:

Changing the mesh to a new layer causes the default “yellow selection color” to remain on the mesh. This screenshot shows a deselected mesh that has been changed to another layer. The layer’s color is “white” and the object is set to color “by layer”

After doing some further digging, it appears something is odd about how the layer is coloring the mesh. For example, here are the mesh’s properties:

When changing the Display Color “By Layer” setting to, say, Black, the mesh is colored appropriately again. Going back to “By Layer” returns the mesh to the selection yellow

Hello - can you please run Help > ‘System information…’ and copy/paste the results here?

-Pascal

Rhino 6 SR5 2018-6-4 (Rhino 6, 6.5.18155.13161, Git hash:master @ 0e00e118078ee9a651d609817f672fb0ed8e83bf)
Licence type: Commercial, build 2018-06-04
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: archinate ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: IMPERATOR

GeForce GTX 1060/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 398.11)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 6-1-2018
Driver Version: 24.21.13.9811
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Users\nate\AppData\Roaming\Proving Ground\Conveyor\ProvingGround.ConveyorRhino\ProvingGround.ConveyorRhino.rhp “Conveyor Rhino Setup”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Users\nate\AppData\Roaming\Proving Ground\HDR Data Wrangler 2.0 - Rhino 6\HDR.DataWranglerV6.rhp “HDR Data Wrangler”
C:\Users\nate\AppData\Roaming\Proving Ground\Semantic\Rhino6\SemanticV6.rhp “Semantic for Rhino 6”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hello - just in case, can you please disable these plug-ins in Options > PLug-ins page and then restart Rhino… does that behave any differently?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
The issue persists even with those plugins unloaded. Have you been able to look at the Rhino file I posted?

Thanks,
-Nate

Hi Nate - yeah, your file seems to behave just fine here so far. Nothing else leaps out at me in your system info. I would guess the problem does not appear if you start Rhino in safe mode, is that correct?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,
You are right, the problem does not appear when starting in Safe Mode.

-Nate

@stevebaer - do you have an idea? It seems the selected highlight state is not cleared on some objects when they are deselected - I cannot reproduce it here with the file provided…

-Pascal

@pascal @stevebaer

Were you able to make any more headway on the cause of this? We recently ran a workshop involving Rhino 6 where other users were having similar issues with selecting meshes (all were up to date with service releases).

We also discovered that the mesh selection visibility will fully deselect after rapidly clicking multiple times in a blank space. Odd

Hello - I have not heard of this, I don’t think, outside of this conversation - which seems odd if you’ve seen it on multiple machines… All different machines, I assume?

-Pascal

Hi @pascal and @stevebaer It appears this mesh select/deselect issue was stemming from a code-generated layer where the alpha was being set to transparent on the Layer color that a mesh was being created on. This was also the source of an issue I was having with disappearing text here: V6 Text Disappearing in Views

The solution was to alter the code that was creating the layer to ensure that the alpha channel was being set to opaque.

Yep, OK, thanks for the update.

-Pascal