[UVEditor TIP] UV mapping: Replace your UV Grid Texture

I’m making a new workflow for game development hard surface modelling using Rhino and having some fun rendering using the default Grid Texture.

This is how the UVEditor was displaying:

Exporting the asset as FBX for painting and selling them in the asset store, I was not expecting this UV space distribution layout: the mapping mesh on the right is out of the [1,1] UV space.

What is happening in Rhino, is that the UVEditor space is showing a UV mapping region and not the UV 0,0 to 1,1 UV space layout. Find number 99 in in the bottom right corner.

To fix this issue(RH-54765), I suggest not to use the default “UV Grid Texture” and replace it instead with something similar to this:

or this

In this way, it will be clear where is the boundary edge of the texture.
If you need to work in a UV mapping space 0-1 you need to be inside this rectangle.

In this video explain why this is important. Often the UV mapping mesh is not inside the 0-1 domain. If we move it looks like is not moving as reported in issue RH-53857. What is actually moving is the grig texture. Having an outline border helps to be aware and understand what is happening.

2 Likes

AM UV v1: 1024 UV mapping grid.

• Includes B&W edge limits
  • Up arrows indication
  • Circles to better detect uniform scale
  • Some coordinate
  • High-density grid

1 Like

@Jussi_Aaltonen, @andy - maybe a useful texture to add as a choice while uvmapping?

1 Like

I will improve it adding numbers and more arrows in it.

Using a modifu vertion of the original UV Grid Texture:
AM UV v2.0: 2048 Rhino Mod. UV mapping grid texture.

• Includes B&W edge limits
  • Black canvas border
  • Corner indicator
  • Up arrows indication
  • Circles in each square for better proportion detection
  • Some coordinate
  • High-density grid
  • Rhino default numbers.
  • Four big square regions indication

In the next update, I will try to take out tall numbers

Using a sharper outline for better contrast and awareness.

VIDEO

TEXTURE

To ensure this great thread doesn’t get lost: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-55136

1 Like

AM UV v3.0
Texture mapping

• Resolution: 4K 2K 1K
  • Outline edge limits
  • High contrast between grid and outline
  • Corner indicator
  • Up fat arrows
  • Right thin arrows
  • Small Circles for uniform scale better proportion detection
  • Big Circles
  • Rhino default numbers
  • High-density line grid
  • Middle lines big square regions indication
  • Some coordinate

1 Like

RH-53857 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like

I wonder if the automated UV-mapping thingy being developed by Eskil Steenberg would be of interest for Rhino?

I thought this work was amazing. In another video Eskil goes into more detail about the process of identifying features on a model (both for freeform and hard egdes).

// Rolf

2 Likes

Could be interesting. He’s been working on this already for probably two decades already.

Interesting to see he’s started to commercialize his work. I remember when I worked with him on the Verse 3D project when he had his first working versions of this tool. This was back in 2004-2005.

Now that he is transforming it into the ministry of flat it may be worth looking into.

1 Like

Quoting the Ministry Of Flat:

:grinning:

h_ttps://www.quelsolaar.com/ministry_of_flat/

BTW, I stumbled on Eskil and his UV-wrapper from watching his take on programming with C in his video “How I program in C”:

Cool guy trying to look at things differently. I like that.

// Rolf

1 Like

This was and still is important. Was reported using Rhino6. And is cheap to fix.

Ok, I want to teach you about software development.
In Unity, when they start going well, they notice that sales go down. And a lot of users migrate to Unreal. But the reality was that they made so many bugs before that, that the users migrate. Going well or bad reflects more in the long run.

Hi @AlanMattano

What would be your final suggestion for a new default UV Editor texture? Are there any copyrights or other legal stuff that we need to take into account or do something about?

1 Like

Feel free to use my texture for any project or purpose you like. You can modify it, share it, or even use it commercially. No need to ask for permission or give me credit, but it’s appreciated if you do.

My primary concern involves the font currently in use. If preferred, I can switch to a custom font that I’ve created.

Use this one or with this features.

AM UV v4.0
Texture Checker for UV Mapping

Made using Roboto font.
Verry small circles added

• Multiple Resolutions Support: Offers versatile resolution options, including 8K, 4K, 2K, and 1K.

• Optimized Outline Edge Limits: Features precisely enhancing the visibility of texture boundaries.

• High Contrast Grid: Checker that ensuring distinct visibility against any model, which facilitates the identification of mapping errors and improves texture alignment.

• Corner Indicators: for placement and orientation of textures, saving time and reducing errors in the mapping process.

• Directional Arrows: Thick arrows pointing upwards for clear directional guidance and thin arrows pointing right, aiding in the orientation and flow of texture mapping.

• Scale Proportion Circles: Features very small circles for uniform scaling and better proportion detection, alongside big circles for enhanced visual guidance, ensuring textures are scaled accurately and uniformly.

• Rhino Default Numbers: for a familiar and intuitive user experience.

• High-Density Line Grid And Pixel Noise: The checker includes a high-density line grid and noise for meticulous detail work, enabling precise adjustments and finer control over texture placement and blurriness.

• Region Indication: Middle lines are emphasized to indicate big square regions, providing a clear reference for texture segmentation.

• Coordinate Assistance:

• Enhanced Visibility at 8K Resolution: Specifically optimized for 8K resolution, ensuring that all features are clearly visible and usable at higher resolutions.

4 Likes

I downloaded those files and they are very low quality. Can we get a version that is not compressed or is compressed with very little data loss?

1 Like

It could be that discourse is compressing them. You can upload one directly to Rhino - Upload to Support

1 Like

I could not find a format that maintains the image’s quality while keeping the file size relatively low for distribution. Thus, I uploaded them to support the uncompressed PNG. Next year, I plan to explore creating an SVG or a Substance Designer file through programming to reduce the Rhino installer’s download time and enhance image sharpness.