UV mapping

Is it possible to apply UV mapping in Rhino for Mac? and if so, how?

Thanks

Hi Brian,

Yes, but there’s no UI and it’s not the same as Rhino 5 on Windows, see…

Thanks for the quick reply. I just can’t seem to figure out how to fix the UV on this object. I never really needed to change UV mapping that much until recently. So, I don’t know how it used to work before.

Here is the object I’m trying to UV…

Thanks again

Do you want the texture map to flow across the hard edge or do you want the same texture mapped to the two different surfaces shown. Right now, Mac Rhino is pretty much Rhino 4 when it comes to UV mapping tools. This means you’re limited to primitive projections like Plane or Cylinder. The default mapping is by surface UV which is what you see here. The control point spacing and UV directions on the surfaces in the polysrf guide and stretch the assigned texture.

Without custom UV unwrapping, you will likely have the best luck by extracting the separate surfaces and rebuilding them to have a more consistent control point spacing. The top edge could also be remade as a Sweep2 to control how the texture flows. This is the olde school way to control mapping where surfaces are made in a way that informs the mapping you want and separate selections get separate materials.

Does that help or just add confusion?

Yeah, I’m trying to get the map “evenly mapped”. Thanks. I’ll try rebuilding it.

Old thread, but I came into the same problem. I’m a new Rhino user (mac version 5.1) trying to do something similar – projecting a brick texture into a curved surface, with all bricks even (i.e. no bricks stretching).
I was wondering, has there been any improvements on this? On how to do it simple on the mac?
Thank you.

Rhino 6 for Mac would be the earliest that the Unwrap command from Rhino 5 for Windows might be ported. In the meantime on Mac, your best bet based on your description may be to make a uniform single surface and to leave the default mapping as Surface UV. Post a new topic with the surface and the texture map and I can try to help more as well.

1 Like

thanks. Guess I will be using Rhino for mac on the go - laptop - and for windows when necessary.

If you only need the textures for one Rendering and not more modeling, you can use an external UV-Editor (like Photoshop Cs6 extended oder CC or UV-Editor or something similar) for .stl oder .3ds or a similar format. Then you can use it in your Render Programm.

Still trying to adjust texture maps in Rhino for Mac. I have tried the MappingWidget command, but it doesn’t seem to actually do anything. I have heard that it ‘turns on a mapping widget’, but see no mapping widget to adjust the texture maps with. Could someone please just do a step by step guide to applying a material to a box, and then independently adjusting the map of the material on each face of the box?

Even when I pick an object with a material applied, switch the material to custom in the object’s properties, all of the adjustments to that material are grayed out and not available to adjust.

Rhino for Mac is great, but the complete lack of support for producing a quality rendering from it is maddening.

We understand. This will improve with time.
Most of the tools needed for that are in the Render Development Kit which is not available for V5 Mac Rhino.

Oh well. Thanks for the reply.

Hi, I may have the same/similar issue. I want the texture here of the wood grain the run at 90degrees to where it is currently. If i understand correctly, swap the U and the V, so it would look like a piece of end grain that has been bent

Attached the file, I am on Rhino for Mac WIP 5.4 (5E140W)

UV mapping.3dm (2.3 MB)

The only work around here I’ve found to get what you’re after is to make the Sweep1 surface again using the refit rail option…

This will make a single surface instead of a polysurface. Then you can use the SwapUV option in the Dir command and the Material Editor to adjust the tiling values.

this works, thanks for the help. Was also wondering why the dir command wasn’t helping much. Didn’t realise it was different for Polysurfaces and surfaces