Upgrade to Rhino 8 and Keep Using Rhino 7 when needed

Hello,

I currently hold a license for Rhino 7 and am considering upgrading to Rhino 8. I’m wondering if it’s possible to run both Rhino 7 and Rhino 8 on the same computer. Given that older Grasshopper Definitions aren’t compatible with the new Grasshopper, I anticipate needing to revert to Rhino 7 regularly.

Hi Darshan,

An upgrade chain is considered 1 license, for example if you have 6,7 & 8 you still have access to all 3, but only one at a time. Using the cloud zoo you can seamlessly change switch versions, even on other computers.

Unless you are using the new GH1 components, script editor or plugin built specifically for Rhino 8 there are no compatibility issues between the grasshopper versions.

1 Like

Hi Japhy,

I may have some contradictory evidence to

I bought R7 and bought an upgrade for R8 (so I have what you would call an upgrade chain?), yet I’m able to run both of them simultaneously. The splash screen also showed me my CloudZoo account and I’m connected to the internet.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you and reporting this is against my own benefit (it’s nice to be able to leverage the benefits of versions at once), but here’s video proof:

That’s good to see, we shouldn’t restrict access if its simultaneous on the same computer.

2 Likes

In other words, not only is it permissible to run multiple copies of Rhino on the same computer, the versions being run need not be the same if an “upgrade chain” exists? If I recall correctly from my forum readings, not only is such a chain created by upgrading but even a user who originally purchased a full license of V8 can obtain a “chained” V7, 6, or 5 license via a procedure whose details I can’t recall?

As a further detail: does this work for a user with a standalone license?

Yes, that can be done here in the legacy key section of the downloads page. There is one odd caveat that if you had a upgrade and jump versions, say Rhino 5 to Rhino 8 you can’t go back to 6 or 7. If you purchase Rhino 8 (not upgraded) you can downgrade to 7, 6 or 5. This issue comes up with users of rather pricey jeweler plugins.

Thank you so much . :slight_smile: