Units used in grasshopper components

There are various components like load, magnetic snap and length which in real life have the units of force(N), magnetic field(T) and something similar to Young’s modulus respectively. How to quantify the strength parameter of these components with respect to SI units or any real life quantity for that matter?

Also, If I have a point and a finite force(load) acting on it, it moves with a finite acceleration. So what is the mass of the point?

If your Rhino units are set to metres, then Load is in Newtons, Strength for Length goals (springs) is EA/L (with Young’s modulus in Pascals).
‘Magnetic Snap’ is not intended as a quantitative simulation of magnetic behaviour - it just acts like a zero length spring that activates when the points are below a certain distance apart.

I go into more details about the dynamics here:

It’s useful to consider this in the context of what you are trying to do - whether it is form-finding, geometric linkages, finding accurate static deformations under load, or dynamics where you want accurate velocities, the requirements will be different.

If the load is in newtons then what about the mass of any point?

The mass defaults to 1kg, but since it is not simulating quantitatively accurate dynamics, this is generally not so relevant. Mass only affects the dynamics, not the final static equilibrium.

Is it possible to use this mass not just for points but for a mesh? I want to avoid the mass getting concentrated at one point

I think this will be easier to discuss with an example of what you want to do.
Are you sure it’s the mass you want to change?

I’m dealing with quite complex structures which would be out of scope of this discussion. In short it is multi physics problem and I’m trying to create a simulation close to the real life experimental data available. It deals with mass, friction, springs, magnetic force etc… for which I know the real values in grams, newtons etc…

How should I approach this problem in order to compare it with the real life data available?

Quantitative multiphysics dynamic simulation of a mechanical system including friction coefficients, real directional electromagnetic fields, air resistance, elasticity and accurate velocities is a big ask.
To really do that properly you probably need something like LS-DYNA (for which I think you’re looking at around $6K a year plus more for specific packages).

I’m guessing though you’re really after some sort of approximation, but if you don’t want to explain more about it, then its hard to say.

1 Like