Uniform hexagon grid on loft surface

Hello everyone,

Im trying to create a uniform Hexagon grid on a lofted surface. The idea is to use this as facade for a stadium. At the moment the base curves are flat, but potentially they could be deformed vertically to create openings at the ground level etc.

I manage to get some hexagons but the dimension is not consistent and there is a weird finish area.
Also, it would be great to get the centre point or hexagon cell.

Thanks in advance!!!

Hexagon grid.gh (11.5 KB)

Hello
I asked quite the same question as it seems strange not to have a good tool to do that.
You will find a nice discussion on this subject.

I see that my tool in Nautilus plugin has some limitations, no more than 100 hexagons on a row. I could easily change that if my tool is interesting for your problem.

I just made the change in my own tool (could send it if necessary) and it works

And if you want some centers just use Polygon Center it will outputs 2 types of center and not area center as polygon is not flat.

That looks extremely close to what I’m after. I just had a look at the discussion and it seems super interesting to see the different methods. Is there a change you could share that component? or the latest version of it?

Also, do you know if it is possible to create a single typology for the hexagons? I cant see it properly from the screenshot but, it seems that the hexagons aren’t completely homogeneous. In this case, is there a change to extract the different typologies if unifying them is not a possibility?

The topology in my tool are all the sames, there are 7 points per hexagon, same orientation, same departure. It is one the reason I did it, it also allows to map objects using Daniel Piker tool.

1 Like

Perfect, that is exactly what I need. So your tool is called Nautilus and to map objects using Daniel Piker tool? Correct?

The plugin is named Nautilus
and the component HexagonOnSurface

I send you a version with a limitation augmented to 500.
You can map things using what is described here

Mesh Cage from Nautilus
MeshCageMorph2 from Daniel Piker

Hexagon grid_2023Nov24a.gh (7.4 KB)

I gave it a try, but I encounter 2 issues:
1-Hexagons are still not uniform.
2-They are not planar.

Do you know a way to solve this issues?

Perfection is hard to achieve. Try Daniel tool if it is better for your shape. See there.

It is on purpose. I choose to have common points, so if you want to 3d print a pattern associated with the hexagon it could work. To make it planar is simple.
Extract control point then Planar fit then Project hexagon on plane.

And the fact that hexagon are outside it is also on purpose to keep the topology intact. You can cut after.

1 Like

@Joseph_Oster I like the output of Triremesh but it is not just Hexagons there are Pentagons also !

I gave it a try Joseph, but it seems that the hexagons are not perfect or uniform and there are pentagons as well. Good try tho, it does look similar to what im after. Thanks!!

Here a way to flatten

1 Like

I thought it was impossible to wrap equally sized planar hexagons around a lofted surface like this?

I agree, it is impossible. What is just tried here is to have quite nice hexagons, ratio height/width similar to a perfect hexagon.

It must be possible as when it goes to fabrication, in order to maintain a lower price, it has to be rationalized in a number of types. I can agree to have 3-4 types of panels, but no more than that. They idea behind is not just to get perfect hexagons for a graphical representation, but mainly for a construction process and cost.

search for Soumaya

1 Like

I gave it a go to this, but then the edges are separated.