Unexpected Naked Mesh Points?

Although I don’t think this issue is unique to Kangaroo since some testing revealed similar results using GH mesh welding, weaverbird, and manual Rhino modeling, I figured you folks work with meshes regularly and may have some insight.

Lately, I’ve been noticing naked mesh edges/points arising in unexpected areas after combining primitive mesh faces. I’m unsure why this would be the case, as I have used these methods before without issue …

Below is a sample for consideration - both a GH model and an internalized Rhino version.

meshedge_sample.gh (17.0 KB)

Your verts are off from eachother by tiny amounts (not seen by the eye). You should weld by distance. In the attached you can use Pufferfish Rebuild Mesh component or Mesh Edit Weld Vertices component. They both use different algorithms but get the job done.


meshedge_sample_Weld.gh (18.1 KB)

2 Likes

In Rhino you can use the AlignMeshVertices command

1 Like

Thanks for the quick replies and solutions guys. I wonder what causes these super tiny misalignments …

See rounding errors. https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html

Transformations of mesh vert positions (mirrors, translations, arrays, etc.) tend to cause small inaccuracies in the vert coordinates.

1 Like

Interesting - and duly noted.