Uncancelable Commands wishlist

Hi there,

i guess almost everyone ran into this, you have not saved and accidentally hit a button. Then Rhino keeps processing for ever and the command cannot be canceled. This thread is about commands which would be great to cancel in future versions of Rhino. I start with:

_Explode

…i understand, explosions are hard to cancel, but hey that’s Rhino :crazy_face:

_
c.

2 Likes

Hi Clement - you must be exploding very large objects - pointclouds, maybe or meshes? In any case

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-42913
Thanks,

-Pascal

Hi @pascal, yes it was an unwelded mesh (each face seperate to use per face vertex coloring without blending) with 2.4 mio faces.

I am surprised no one else wants to have more cancelable commands. For me all mesh related commands could be improved. e.g.

_ExtractConnectedMeshFaces

if i run this over a larger mesh, it begins to hang after using the Edit Selection button 5 or 6 times.

_AlignMeshVertices

is a command which could tage ages to complete on larger meshes, even when i only have chosen to merge naked edges and there are only a few of them.

_
c.

Hi Clement -

So far OK here - my mesh has 2,387,434 faces - that should be enough to show the problem, right?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, you’re testing with V6 right ?

I’ve recorded a video using _ExtractConnectedMeshFaces which i’d like to upload. It crashed Rhino 6 during that video after changing the face angle from 1.0 to 0.5. Where can i upload it ? (Too large for discourse).

_
c.

Hi Clement - V6, yes - upload to www.rhino3d.com/upload to my attention… I think you may need to zip to be able to upload there.

thanks,

-Pascal

OK, just sending the crash report together with the 3dm, let’s see if it is able to go through. The mesh in the file got 3106374 faces, i can zip it to 100Mb if you need it to repeat the crash.

btw. In the video you might see that there is something strange with the dialog of _ExtractConnectedMeshFaces command. When i open this dialog, i only see the title bar and have to resize it to see the content. Also when i try to change the angle in the text field, eg. to 0.5 it likes to update the display right after i have typed “0,” this seems to be the same bug as in the _PointDeviation dialog i’ve reported a while ago.
_
c.

I saw this as well, only not quite as extreme - I was scratching my head though for a while because there was no ‘Edit Selection’ button…
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-42919
-Pascal

Better than just the title without any controls though :wink:

Video has been uploaded, filename is ExtractConnectedMeshFaces.zip

the crashreport also seems to be out, it is over 100Mb file on my desktop.
_
c.

Hi Clement, I got the zipped avi file - thanks.

Yeah, that is very slow - I’ll make a mesh of comparable size and see if I can make the problem happen here.
In any case we need a minimum size on those dialogs…

-Pascal

Yes. I think the resizeability is also there because today many people are working with larger resolutions and change their text size. Having the dialog resizable is a good workaround to make sure the content can be accessed in case of problems.

Btw. another glitch with that command is that when you first have created a face selection and then try to add new faceS using the Edit Selection button, it seems to first unselect all faces and then selects again. It also brings up the dialog if only a single face has been selected. So if you like to add 5 faces you have to go through this painful selection method 5 times. I see no reason for that. It might be more useful to allow to select multiple faces in on go and support unselection.

_
c.

Hi Clement - you might find the dash version more fluid to work with - it is always (when not thinking) showing a prompt to select a mesh face; if you select a highlighted face, that set of connected faces is deselected.

-Pascal

@pascal, i’m sorry but another possible glitch with that dialog: If i click on the “extract a copy” checkbox the dialog vanishes, Rhino goes to “not responding” for a while and the the dialog eventually comes back, if not i have to click somewhere and it comes back :roll_eyes:

_
c.

Yes thats way better and faster. It does have the unhighlight / highlight problem too.

_
c.

Hi Clement - I see the disappearing dialog problem- here it is pretty quick to come back but I’d say it should not go away at all…
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-42920

-Pascal

Hi @Pascal, you may add the _PointDeviation dialog to this bug report too. It vanishes over here if i toggle the “Display hair” checkbox. It does not come back here after a while but if hoover my mouse over a tab it comes back.

_
c.

@pascal, back to “Uncancelable Commands” topic, i’ll upload another file which gave me this when i tried to cancel the _Patch command:

it is great that i was able to save the model after this dialog came up. File will be uploaded with instructions to repeat.
_
c.

Hi Clement, OK, thanks.
@clement - It looks like your upload failed.

-Pascal

Funny, the webpage says “Thank you for uploading your file” :wink:

I’ll try it again, it is only 35Mb zipped.

_
c.

Hi Clement - Sorry, - thanks for retrying - the page where we get these files says ‘upload failed’ for your first attempt.
Got the second one - cheers.

-Pascal