UI – toolbars are cut-off

Hi,

Here are some examples (the left sidebar and the left docked osnap and filter tabs) where toolbars are being cut-off without the ability to pan/scroll to see the hidden icons

The first image shows an expanded sidebar displaying all icons, but as soon as it is narrowed, the extra icons become inaccessible.

This needs a scroll function.

Thanks

Rhino 9 SR0 2026-8-11 (Rhino 9 BETA, 9.0.26223.12303, Git hash:master @ 535bf21f011dc805eafa540606c59272f4f15b11)
License type: Commercial, build 2026-08-11
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2026-09-25

Windows 11 (10.0.26200 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32GB)
.NET 10.0.11

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [100% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration using DirectX
Primary display: NVIDIA RTX A1000 Laptop GPU (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 7-10-2026 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated accelerated graphics device (shares primary device ports)
- Laptop’s primary display device

Secondary graphics devices.
Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics (Intel) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 6-17-2026 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

DirectX Settings
Safe mode: Off

OpenBLAS: OpenBLAS 0.3.30 DYNAMIC_ARCH NO_AFFINITY Haswell MAX_THREADS=64.

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\KeyShotRhinoPlugin (78243fe3-17a0-4865-b713-88b4c224c48c)\1.5.0.0\KeyShotRhinoPlugin\KeyShotRhinoPlugin.rhp “KeyShotRhinoPlugin” 1.0.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 9 WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 9.0.26223.12303
C:\Program Files\Rhino 9 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 9 WIP\Plug-ins\3dxRhino.9.rhp “3DxRhino.9”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 9 WIP\Plug-ins\UpdatesAndStatistics\UpdatesAndStatistics.rhp “UpdatesAndStatistics” 9.0.26223.12303
C:\Program Files\Rhino 9 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 9.0.26223.12303
C:\Program Files\Rhino 9 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 9.0.26223.12303
C:\Program Files\Rhino 9 WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 9 WIP\Plug-ins\MeshCommands.rhp “MeshCommands” 9.0.26223.12303
C:\Program Files\Rhino 9 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 9.0.26223.12303
C:\Program Files\Rhino 9 WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 9 WIP\Plug-ins\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

there’s a chevron >> where the rest of the tools is accessible. This is done throughout the whole UI.

Thanks @Gijs

However, I’m using dark mode and the chevron is hardly noticeable to me.. I think the dark grey of the chevron and dark grey type on black background is difficult to see.

No kidding. I had to enlarge the screenshots you supplied and search for 10-15 seconds before I could find the chevrons. So for a beginning dark mode user with no knowledge of the chevron’s existence and the way the UI works I would say the chance of figuring it out is near zero.

Once the system is understood it is still harder, thus slower to use, the chevrons. I think the default contrast/brightness should be worked on if what Sach has showed us is the default. I’m not a dark mode user myself so I guess I’m offering an opinion without actual experience.

Thanks @AlW

When I observed this, I remembered that I could click something in the right-side panel area to scroll, but I just could not see them at all on the left toolbars today!

I think another intuitive way to scroll could be to use the mouse wheel over the particular toolbar, along with improving the graphics contrast of the chevrons. This could be made applicable to other areas too, like the right-side panels when they extend beyond the docked panel..

Just a though to improve UX.

This illustrates the way that the panels extend when space runs out – it is a messy situation. Bunch of elements just pile on top of each other including the + icon randomly placed. It could do with a re-think because it’s impossible to understand and interact with it predictably.

It’s possible to scroll up and down to access the out-of-view panels but it is exceptionally difficult to use, imo.

Thanks

Hi @Gijs

Any thoughts on this?

I agree it can be improved, but is this a real world problem? Will you have that many panels in the side bar in practice? I hope not.

Yes, I like to have all of those open. If the UI allows this functionality, then the UX should not be a compromise.

It is also much more evident when the panel tabs are horizontally oriented because there is typically even less land available (unless your panel window is expanded out very wide..)

YT : RH-99292 Vertical Panel tab overflow is messy