Turn-off dynamic display when working with point clouds

Hi everyone,

Just another fast question. Is there any way of disabling Dynamic display when working with point clouds. It’s been hard to select certain areas in the point cloud that I’m working with when I cannot visually follow the points when rotating the view, as some of them disappear and appear again when I stop the view rotation.

BTW, I forgot to mention, this happens only when using a clipping plane in the view.

Thanks in advance.

I found a trick in case that it could be useful to anyone:

if you select the points in the pointcloud that you want to keep visible during the rotation, they don’t disappear.

P.S.: And extending it, if you select ANY part of the PC, all points remain visible during the rotation o.O (odd)

Hi Angel - are these large PCs? How large?(count)

-Pascal

226M points roughly for the complete one, but I chopped it in smaller chunks of about 1M points each.

Anyway, the weird thing is that it just happen when there is a clipping plane affecting the view and if I don’t select the PC.

@Angel,

Would it be possible for you to send us one of these 1M PC chunks so that we can try to reproduce?

https://www.rhino3d.com/upload

Put david.eranen@mcneel.com in the recipient e-mail.

Thanks,
-David

@DavidEranen Done. You should have it in your inbox :wink:

Thanks for looking into this.

Hi @Angel,

I got your file. Is the main problem that the point cloud turns into bounding boxes while rotating the view, or do individual points disappear as you rotate? I can’t seem to be able to get individual points to disappear.

In order to effectively disable dynamic display degradation you can go into Tools -> Options... -> View ->Dynamic redraw and set the Frames per second value to: 0.001

Tagging @stevebaer.

-David

Individual points disappear, and only when a clipping plane is affecting the view and I have no points in the point cloud selected.

If for some reason I have no clipping plane OR I select any point in the point cloud, all points remain visible.

I will try disabling Dynamic display and will let you know what happens.

Okay,

Please try disabling dynamic display degradation as I mentioned above.

Also, could you paste the information found in Help -> System Information...?

Thanks
-David

Rhino 6 SR7 2018-7-29 (Rhino 6, 6.7.18210.11281, Git hash:master @ f815aae129dfe2008152736625ca2dbd0036b29a)
Licence type: Commercial, build 2018-07-29
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Angel Linares Garcia (AR-MA)

Windows 7 SP1 (Physical RAM: 64Gb)
Machine name: ARMA-32

Quadro K5200/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.5.0 NVIDIA 386.01)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-2-2017
Driver Version: 22.21.13.8601
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

C:\Program Files\Geometry Gym\Rhino3d\ggRhinoIFC.rhp “ggRhinoIFC” 1.6.49.0
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.7.18210.11281
C:\Program Files\Geometry Gym\Rhino3d\BullAnt.rhp “bullant” 1.4.1.0
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
Z:\001_CONTENT\002_PLUGINS\StereoView.rhp “StereoView”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.7.18210.11281
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.7.18210.11281
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.7.18210.11281
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.7.18210.11281
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.7.18210.11281
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Is there a reason you chopped it into 226 clouds? Just curious

Hahahaha, @stevebaer I didn´t explian myself correctly, I only needed 33 PC. The rest was not relevant information. I chopped it to allow faster edition and to approach the job in a more “modular” way.

The problem was not very bad once I found a way to stop the behaviour (selecting some points). Anyway, is weird that the introduction of a clipping plane makes some points disappear when the view is rotated.

Hi @DavidEranen,

I tried lowering the Dynamic redraw to 0.001 but it didn’t change the behaviour, just made the view rotation sort of slower.