Troubleshooting: Rhino Stopped Opening on Mac (Invalid MacOS Version)

As the title says, Rhino is no longer opening.

The reasoning, as cited by the pop-up I receive, is that I am running an Invalid macOS version. I’m not.

It tells me that I must be on High Sierra (10.13) or later. In the same screen, it informs me that I am running 11.6.8.

Has anybody experienced this or had to troubleshoot it in any way? I tried restarting and uninstalling/reinstalling Rhino. No dice.

What version of Rhino are you trying to run?

System requirements per version is available here Rhino - Downloads

Rhino 6.35; it’s run for nearly two years without fail. System specs are 16-inch 2019 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, AMD graphics. I’ve just never had this issue before.

Let’s reset your preferences Rhino for Mac - Preferences [McNeel Wiki]

I’m not finding any similar reports that would help troubleshoot this at the moment. I’ll keep digging.

Okay - I tried that. It unfortunately didn’t work. I’m digging as well. Sorry about this.

What is your MacOS (via Apple System info) ?

macOS Monterey (12.5.1)

Did this happen with a Monterey update or did you go from Big Sur to Monterey recently? You can try to roll back your OS, Monterey isn’t supported on Rhino 6.

This was actually happening on Big Sur as well, which is why I chose to update everything in the first place. It’s a very weird situation.

Following up here - attempted to downgrade my OS, re-install, still nothing.

Kind of at a loss and need to be able to use Rhino. This is tough.

What OS are you now running? I’ll get the developers attention and see if there’s anything we can do.

I am back on Monterey (12.5.1).

Have tried the 90 day trial of Rhino 7? That is the version compatible with Monterey.

Can you provide a screenshot of the error you are seeing please? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 11.46.05 AM.png

1 Like

As an update - Rhino 7 works, somehow.