Toolbar access error when I shut down rhino (Error writing XML File)

I get this message… any ideas how to fix it?

Screenshot_111017_101429_PM

Since you put this in serengeti, are you sure you closed Rhino BETA? The path shows Rhino 5…

This usually shows up when you have several instances of Rhino open and you close two in rapid succession, the first is still in the process of writing the toolbar file back to disk, so the second instance can’t. You need to wait at least 10 seconds between closing separate instances. Always seemed to me that Rhino should be able to manage this better…

–Mitch

1 Like

yes this happens when I am using the BETA, I think it’s because I am using toolbars that i originally created for 5.

Is the Beta referencing the exact same file in the V5 directory or did you make a copy and put it another folder somewhere?

I guess I would also have a tendency to not store customizations in Program Files, as you might be running into write permissions in recent versions of Windows… the “standard” place for keeping .rui files is

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\<version number>\UI

I also have toolbars I brought in from V5, but they’re copies, not the same ones I actually use in V5. No problems here.

–Mitch

You can type %APPDATA% in the address bar of Windows Explorer to get the first path. %APPDATA%\McNeel\Rhinoceros

And indeed, I am not surprised you don’t have write permissions without admin rights to the path shown in the screenshot. Copy to where Mitch suggests.

Not to dredge up a post from the past, but I’m specifically trying to run about 7x independent instances of Rhino via Rhino.Inside and running into this issue. Would you have a recommended workaround for this that can be implemented via C# with Rhino.Inside?

Since these are independent sessions, I don’t know if there is really a way to close in a certain order.

Cheers.