Thinking with MultiPipe

https://www.instagram.com/rhinoitall/

46 Likes

People have been doing sublime things with Grasshopper. Very cool image !

1 Like

Hi Brian
I think I managed to do this like yours. Please I would appreciate your comment.
Girl Posing TriRemesh.gh (6.0 KB)

7 Likes

Hi @marcel1,

Yes, that’s pretty much the same, nice job! You used face boundaries for the multipipe lines instead of mesh edges but it works. Here’s what I did in case you didn’t see it on the Instagram link.

This workflow gets even cooler when you start leveraging the size points input on the multipipe component. Check out How can i control node diameter at specific points with multipipe? - #3 by nik.mvk

One tiny tweak - you can even just connect a mesh directly to the MultiPipe input and it will automatically use the mesh edges (or ngon boundaries if it’s the dual) to build the pipes around:

13 Likes

@DanielPiker Awesome! Thanks for pointing that out :slight_smile:

Hi Brian, thanks for the feedback. I am quite efficient with Rhino. (I’ve had Rhino 5, 6 and now 7. I am self learning GH which I find to be outstanding but boy! it’s sometimes hard to understand the meaning of the elements, ie “evaluate Srf” or “domain” …etc… but I am getting there…This forum is extremely helpful. Thanks again.

3 Likes

We’ve done Rodin and now Koons! It’s almost too easy isn’t it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi brian
i also thought of my seat right away.
looks clean. much easier and faster than my way. I have slightly different sizes of the holes in certain areas. but that is also possible, I think.
regards
nik

Yes, your seat had that extra variable making the GH file more complex but using size points too is really interesting design wise. I hope your project turned out well.

Henry Moore
“Figura recostada” (Quads)
( yes, easy to do in digital format,
but … ‘Materializing’ the Sculpture can be even more cumbersome, of course).
Anyway interesting to see the formal study
under another optical-digitized.
Greetings

3 Likes

are you going to do a video walkthrough of this for people that have never opened up grasshopper before??

Sure I can do that… there are two bits really, TriRemeshing something and then making the SubD MultiPipe from that. It’s an easy one to get into Grasshopper with.

1 Like

In it’s simplest form it can be as easy as this:
mp

23 Likes

–Pincas Claudio
’ Garza Mora’ (Reiger)
Just find the wireframe
and multiple pipes.
(Using Quads for modeling, … Just change the SubD to Nurbs).

Many years Drawing by hand, …
now with Rhino everything is very simplified.

*Even so, I still value what is done by hand today.

10 Likes

Hi @zale_orcid … I posted this video which covers using MultiPipe in GH too, hope it helps!

6 Likes

Are those lines SubD friendly? …
I get another result when doing the Multipipe–does not soften–
…I don’t see “Caps” in Multipipe GH either.
Will there be a new version of that GH command?!
Thanks
Greetings
Rejilla|690x294

1 Like

Hi @claudiofeldman

If you update to the latest service release you should see the Caps option in the GH component.
About your image above - I can’t say for sure without the file, but I suspect your issue is either:
-The curves are not split at the grid intersections so each long line is getting treated separately
or
-They are split, but there are gaps between the end points bigger than the tolerance.

1 Like