Tapering shank board of high heel shoe

The attached model is to be a shank board for a high heel shoe. What it needs next is the front edge to be tapered, where the bottom blends up into the top, so there is either no more front face at all, or a very narrow front face. I can use flow or bend to achieve this along with a whole lot of rebuilding, extending, and trimming. But I’m wondering if there is a better/easier way to go about this. Note that I will be automating this with Rhinocommon. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sam

ShankBoard.3dm (10.2 MB)

Hi Sam - I don’t know if this is the right interpretation of your notes but maybe it helps?

ShankBoard_PG.3dm (9.9 MB)

@samlochner Attachment this time. Sorry.

-Pascal

Exactly :slight_smile: How did you do that?

Hi Sam - no idea how you are going tp RhinoCommon-ize this but:

OffsetCrvOnSrf > ThroughPt on the lower surface, front edge curve.

Use the resulting curve to trim the surface

Delete the front face

BlendSrf for Position at the front and Curvature at the back, to make the new surface.

Trim with the vertical sides and vice-versa.

-Pascal

1 Like

I get it. Having difficulty with the trims, but I will try again tomorrow, and work on automating it. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think there is a BlendSrf function in rhinocommon, so I will have to script that.

Thanks,
Sam

.I have a problem that may interest those who have read this post. The picture is of a pair of invisible shoes, the brief was to provide invisible support for the most extreme possible demi pointe position that could be worn all day. It turned out that the requirement included an evening disco dancing as well as a working day. A sole conformation that provided the support and which did not compress toes was created using the same technique as used to develop support cushions for ejection seats. A shank embodying this configuration was handmade and a three piece mould created for the shoe body which was moulded from carbon fibre and Kevelar.
The file is a scan of an original shoe body. The issue is how best to start students attempting creation of a rhino model of the shoe body and of moulds from which bodies could be created? Should a primitive solid be manipulated or should some of the surface reproduction techniques be used? This is just a teaching exercise there is no intention of commercial production although the owners of the original design reserve their rights

Oops here is the file

Second try Discourse upload was invoking HP share to web which appeared to interfere with getting a Rhino file I have now removed Share to Web but I am still not sure that I can upload

Second try did not work. The 3dm file shows uploading to 10% then saved but when I press reply to send the message the file is not attached to my message. What incredibly stupid thing am I doing. I think it is just that the output from 3D scaning makes a very large 3dm file. Simplifying it slightly detracts from the point of my question about where a student should start work so I will see if a compressed object file will work. It would beshoe mesh.zip (8.4 MB) good to know the maximum file size the forum accepts please. so I am