Tangent object snap

I have just discovered that tangent object snap works only if the curve is on the construction plane. Other object snaps work on all curves.

1 Like

Can you elaborate on how exactly it would work if the curve is not in the CP? What kind of task would require a tangent snap to a curve that’s not in the plane which will contain the new geometry?

Hi Andrew - that is not the case - the curves must be in the same plane however, or no tangent exists.

-Pascal

Tangent object snap is confusing when you draw a line from a point to a curve. If the point elevation is different than the curve elevation, tangent fails, and the reason for the failure is not obvious. There are two ways to fix the problem:

• display warning near the cursor when tangent fails
  • project all coordinates on the construction plane before drawing tangent line and change elevations of the line ends
1 Like

Warnings are not displayed when an osnap “fails”, it simply doesn’t snap. That means it can’t find a point which corresponds.

I would not want Rhino to alter my geometry arbitrarily like that…

–Mitch

I think Andrew raises good point, however. If the point a user is trying to make tangent from is even a little bit out of plane and the user doesn’t realize it because he thought he put it on the plane, he might try 15-20 times to get it to snap before he starts reaching for the cricket bat to discipline the computer. I just wish I had a good idea about how to help him realize what’s going on (or not going on).

2 Likes