Surface smoother near windows

Hello everyone,

I have designed a facade which has openings/windows on it. What I want to achieve is, the undulations to become subtle when they come near the windows (the pink sketch). Basically the wave form should become fixed near the window edge and then again become undulating like an attractor.

I tried by making the window surfaces as attractor but it is not working as I had imagined. Any suggestions or help will be really appreciated. Thank you :slight_smile:

1.gh (107.6 KB)

Tried with kangaroo just now, the edges are snapping to window edges but the form is getting deformed completely.

Hello,

Any help with be useful, thank you.

Iā€™d recommend something like this, to flatten it based on a function of summed inverse distance from the curves-

proximity_flatten.gh (106.3 KB)

Your input surface doesnā€™t have vertices exactly aligned with the openings - if you want it to match them more precisely you could rebuild it so they do.

It looks to me like you are too late in the process to flatten the ripples near the windows because you have no way of recreating the rippled surface from the modified fragments, even if they were modified correctly (which it appears they are not).

I would do it something like this:

WavySurface_2021Feb14a.gh (121.2 KB)

Adapted from this:

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your reply and help. My apologies, I should have attached the initial curves which I used to create the surface from.

I am going to take a closer look at the script, there are a lot of new components and conditionals here. I will also take a look at the attached thread. Thank you once again for your help.

One last question, will the process be same if the openings are front and back? So that a smooth surface be developed at the edge?

Thank you so much for the reply Daniel. This surely helps me out, I have never used Point Deform component looks interesting. Yes, I will try to rebuild the initial surface so that the vertices match.

One last question, if the opening move front or back, will the surface edge move? I tried doing it but the flattened part stayed there itself. So we have small curvature connecting the flat edge and window overhang. Hope I could convey clearly.

Thank you once again.

proximity_flatten2.gh (109.8 KB)

1 Like

That probably wouldnā€™t have helped because the curves determine the surface, whereas Iā€™m doing the ripples and smoothing before the surface is created.

I donā€™t understand what you mean by ā€œfront and backā€? As to smoothing the surface near its edges, I didnā€™t bother to do that, though it was done in the other thread I mentioned.

1. Ohh yes, that makes sense. I said so cause the pattern that I generated on the wall was irregular and not like a ripple. I will try to recreate the same pattern.
  2. I mean like this in the image below. Where the surface and openings are not in one line, but the surface can move till the openings.

Here is a different approach that uses your rippled surface. It flattens the ripples near the windows and the surface edges, affected by the ā€˜rangeā€™ slider. The yellow group is the uncut surface if you want it without the windows.

The slider in the blue group determines the resolution, where higher values are slower but more accurately reproduce the original ripples. Iā€™m using one slider for both U and V though they donā€™t need to be the same. (see P.S. below)

WavySurface_2021Feb14b.gh (122.8 KB)

As to the windows being ā€œfront and backā€, you can have them anywhere you want but I need them on the surface (cutting holes!) for the algorithm to work.

P.S. U=300 and V=400 looks pretty good. It is slow but not that bad (see Profiler numbers).

WavySurface_2021Feb14c.gh (123.2 KB)

1 Like

Wow, thanks a lot Joseph. This is amazing, exactly what I was looking for. Have to look at the algorithm, it takes a while for me to understand when it is only numbers.

Yes, for windows what I mean is that when they are in front is there a way for the pattern to attach it there. Like its the window overhang and will it be possible for the ripple to go till there? (Image attached, doesnā€™t do justification but like that with the pattern) If you can just tell me it will be enough, I already asked a lot from you.

Yes, 300 and 400 does like good. Wow it takes almost half a minute thatā€™s fine I think, it will be nicer for fabrication :slight_smile:

Thank you once again for all your help.

Yes. But you have to figure out some of these things for yourself.

Yes, thatā€™s fair. I will send it to you once I figure out. Thank you once again for all the help :slight_smile: