Suggestions for this massive Mesh

SOLVED:
typically this workflow I would assume is for downloaded 3d objects which is usually what I’m using, although can be used for any mesh… _selbadobjects and delete the ones you don’t need, _repairmesh the ones you do. convert your NURBS to mesh as it gives the comp less workload, select nothing and _join > make sure join disjoint mesh is set to yes, select meshes and _join meshes to make them a single unit. _reducemesh, _rebuildmesh, _culldegeneratefaces, and _rebuildmesh are all commands that can help. If you need to copy the mesh around then using blocks is your best bet https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/usingblocks. Finally set to a display mode that displays these meshes with the least amount of workload

[quote=“Holo, post:8, topic:92270”]
Try this one if you like:
Holos_RenderSpeed.ini (12.0 KB)
[/quote] as given by @Holo

ORIGINAL POST:
I have a project due soon, and I’m always running into a problem where my mesh that I create in Rhino becomes too large to even use. I’m using the schools best public computers, and the specs exceed minimum rhino requirements.

I need this facade component to be replicated 20+ times, although even the single component is too large to play around with. Any suggestions on working with massive mesh files like this? Ive tried rebuilding but its still lags, I’ve tried _meshtonurbs with the same results. ive tried taking it into zbrush and attempted dynamic mesh but it crashes…

I’m desperate at this point because I don’t have enough time to scratch it. Ultimately I would like it if it was one single mesh or polysrf that I can play around with easily.

Hello - see about using blocks - https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/usingblocks

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi @chris.prinsen2
First of all, there’s a bunch of bad objects in there - delete those. There’s also a few surfaces and polysurfaces (the latter looks like meshes that have been converted to NURBS, which makes them super heavy!). Convert those to meshes and then join the whole thing into a single mesh instead of over 30.000 separate meshes. That makes it much, much easier to handle. And like @pascal said: Blocks :slight_smile:
HTH, Jakob

1 Like

@Normand Thank you! How do I delete a “bad object” and how do I convert them all to single meshes?

Hi Chris,

You select them with the SelBadObjects command. You might want to check if you need them, and if so, repair them.

First make sure that you’re only dealing with meshes (use SelMesh and Invert to find NURBS surfaces). Then simply use the Join command.
-wim

2 Likes

And to add to @wim, if Join refuses to join the (disjoint) meshes, run the command with no geometry selected, and make sure that join disjoint meshes is set to yes.
-Jakob

Maybe this would be the time because you both sound knowledgeable to ask for a quick rundown of an open/good/disjoint/closed mesh?

Also I did everything you guys said and it’s helped tremendously, I wasn’t aware blocks allowed you to not have to totally copy the geometry. Although that all helped the mesh still is too heavy to work with. Does repair mesh help with this or will I have to resort to rebuild mesh

ReduceMesh is also a command you can try, but be aware that it can remove too much details.
(And the command CullDegenerateFaces is also handy.)

And making a displaymode that doesn’t use the fancysmancy V6 shadows will also make your machine much more responcive.

Try this one if you like:
Holos_RenderSpeed.ini (12.0 KB)

Note that I edited the settings so only unwelded edges are shown:

Compared to orinary rendered that shows all edges:

1 Like

Thanks everyone, I have spent countless hours waiting on the computer and now I feel like a free man

1 Like