Can't figure out how to split up this huge disjointed mesh

So I downloaded this huge 3D model of Indianapolis for a school project and all of the buildings are joined into a few different huge disjointed meshes. I have been unable to repair them as they are too big and not even the fastest computers at my school are able to do anything. Without repairing the mesh the splitdisjointedmesh command always fails. I am not sure what else to do. I can’t reduce it that much otherwise buildings start to disappear and explode it because there are too many faces. Any ideas?

Post a screenshot.

Zip the rhino file if it is larger than 20 MB and upload the file.

Or post a link to a cloud sharing platform.

here is a link to the file. I also included a screenshot of what one of the disjointed meshes looks like. I want all the buildings to be individual meshes.

I cannot handle *.rar

You’ll have to wait for someone else.

Hello- in what file format did this mesh get to Rhino? Is that file avaiable?
RebuildMesh seems to sort out the meshes I have checked. But then again, not all.

@horlandern it looks like you can go through by layer - RebuildMesh, CullDegenerateMeshFaces, SplitDisjointMesh

Note this will result in a large number of meshes and a larger file. You may want to join meshes by layer to consolidate the per-object overhead.
e.g. ‘Sidewalks’ has a massive number of meshes if split. I might leave that one alone.

@horlandern depends on what you want to do with it, but I’d say there are way too many individual meshes in this file if split up. I’d only do this where you really need to.

-Pascal

7zip is my tool of choice for most zipping and unzipping.

1 Like

I usually weld at 180 degrees then splitdisjoinedmesh (and culldegeneratemeshfaces if it fails) then unweld at 22 degrees again after the split. Does that work for you?