Step file with incorrect geometry

Hi Chuck

sorry for my late reaction, have been busy. None of the rhino .stp files made it through the end of the tailorsteel process. If i remember correctly files that were exported with origing got stuck later in the process.
Does that make any sense to you?

Hi René.

Earlier, you had said that sometimes TailorSteel recognizes the tube and sometimes it doesn’t, and in the cases where it does, later on TailorSteel says the geometry is incorrect. I would like to see examples of each case if possible. Maybe we can get somewhere by seeing the difference.

While we try to figure this out, it might be better to use email. Please contact me directly, chuck@mcneel.com. Thanks.

Hi Chuck,

I have similar issues with my metal fab shop, who use Radan, and often have issues with Rhino STEP files either not ‘unfolding’ or radius being read as faceted features.

Currently I work-around this - as I have neither time nor desire to learn Fusion - by modelling a ‘clean’ version of the part I need, which has not been modified, push/pulled faces or had merged faces etc.

This usually works well enough for them to use the file, but is not ideal for me.

I could possible dig-out some good/bad files if you are interested in pursuing?

David

Hi David. Sure. That would be great. You can send them directly to me, chuck@mcneel.com. Thanks.

I understand your aversion against fusion. So have, i but the only thing i have to do is open the .stp file in fusion and save it again as .stp file from fusion. After that tailor steel can read the file. Unfortunately they are not interested at all in investigating this problem.
The only thing you have to watch is the scale of the object. Sometimes it is scaled down 10 times.

Regards, René

Hi,

I have instigated the step file: test02.stp

All faces are BSplineSurfaces. For Sophia to correctly recognize the tubes the surfaces must be geometrical defined with Planer faces and Cylindrical surfaces:

1 Like

Thanks for investigating. Over the past week I have been working with a customer to solve this issue. The next release of the V7 WIP should make STEP files acceptable to Tailor Steel’s Sophia. As you said, Sophia expects all surfaces for the steel plate faces to be plane_surface or cylindrical_surface entities. The laser cut surfaces do not have to be of a certain type.

1 Like

RH-50481 is fixed in the latest WIP

1 Like

Sometimes there are problems with improper geometry when exporting NURBS models from Rhino as STEP or IGES or Parasolid file formats, that are them opened in SolidWorks or Artube (a program for laser cutting of tubular profiles). One of those problems occurs with Degree 2 surfaces, such as simple 90-degree fillets or rounded surfaces made with Rhino’s “Revolve” tool. For example, making a flat end cap for a pipe with “Revolve” instead of “Cap” may lead to a weird error in Artube, because the resulting surface is Degree 2 in one direction and Degree 1 in the other.

Thanks,

for the users of 247Tailorsteel sophia I made some pictures to clarify which surface types are expected by Sophia.

Flat plates:

Bent Plates:

Rectangular/Square tubes

Round Tubes:

1 Like

Hi Brian, Can you please expand on how the problem has been fixed in WIP7 . i have imported to it and and re exported in >STP with no result. Im having the same problem Trying to send file to be processed by a laser tube cutting company and I’m getting nowhere. Very uncomfortable situation to say the least.
One of the difference i see from file generated on “inventor” is in the tolerances.
Thanx in advance for any reply.

The problem was that Sophia, rather than evaluate the geometry in the STEP file, looked at which STEP entity was used to define a surface. The fix was to evaluate the geometry before exporting and, when warranted, use an entity that Sophia understands. If you have a 3dm file that Sophia does not accept when exported as STEP, please post it (the 3dm) or send it to me - chuck@mcneel.com . Thanks.

~Sab~

| Chuck Welsh chuck McNeel
September 21 |

• | - |

The problem was that Sophia, rather than evaluate the geometry in the STEP file, looked at which STEP entity was used to define a surface. The fix was to evaluate the geometry before exporting and, when warranted, use an entity that Sophia understands. If you have a 3dm file that Sophia does not accept when exported as STEP, please post it (the 3dm) or send it to me - chuck@mcneel.com . Thanks.

Hi Brian thnx for you prompt answer. The problem is that I have

~Sab~

| Chuck Welsh chuck McNeel
September 21 |

• | - |

1 Like

trimI finally got it , generating tube from full extrusion and shell, shrink trim surface to edges, do all you cut and etching in boolean or split as long as you do 1 trim at a time and cap all planar edges. trim al edges and create solid. then export.
The most important is shrink all surfaces to edges, since rhino tells you you have a solid, though it ignores the fact that you still have original geometry that lurks in the darkness . thats ok for most other software but not all. also when you generate square tube from extruding profile the inner surface is a single surface and has a cap that hides in the background. make sure your inner surface has the same amount of surface as the outer one.
then you can export STP from rhino 6 AP214, split closed surfaces
Thanx for your support, it sent me in the right direction.
Cordially
PS i have to thank" inventor “as well since it exposed hidden geometry

I’m glad you got it to work in V6. Please note that all changes made to Rhino for this issue are in the V7 WIP only.

1 Like

Hi Chuck! Thank you very much for this post! We had been struggling with Step exports for a while, and am happy to have found a solution! Looking forward to 7! :slight_smile:

Did you know you can try 7 now if you have a V6 license?

This one worked for my STP troubles in Sophia 24/7 tailorsteel. Thanks