Stacking curves (How To)

Here a little script that enables to stack curves without (or quite) intersections.It was done to answer a question on this forum but as the one who asked doesn’t care I post it here

The logic is simple
Make a list of curve with same extension on X and Y. I used 4Dnoise here.

Divide the curves in points (400 points here) and find the minimum distance between 2 consecutive curves.

Moves the curves UP

wavy curves.gh (26.3 KB)

38 Likes

Hi @laurent_delrieu!!

As always your exercise are amazing and helpful… sometimes it giving me inspiration in my GH codes.
I have a question for you. Is it possible to apply a fade on the perimeter of the tile or just on some sides?

Many thanks!!
Jose

Hi
if fade means flat for sure yes it is possible

wavy curves.gh (24.4 KB)

1 Like

well I’m thinking about 3D wavy lines… like the image I´ve added but applied to your 3d example.

Hello
There are many examples on how to do that in Grasshopper. It is quite the same as what I presented. Except it could be more simple to measure a distance from a curve (the rectangle) and then “fade” according to the distance.

How did you take the wavy lines further and create the 3d depth to them (the top left image) , especially the softer and curved gaps inbetween? it looks great!

Deconstruct the curves to get the control points

For each point of a curve and the point just upper, calculate the distance and make a line.

Add 2 points on the line.

Move them upper or lower with a GraphMapper depending on the distance

Some data tree play and make a mesh with all these points

Smooth it with Catmull & Clark “et voilà”

2 Likes

Thankyou for sharing.
If you could just help me with a few questions? - when you split the list initially, what expression are you using on the index from the list length component?
also what are you connecting to the 1-x expression component? Perhaps if you had a zoomed out picture of the definition it would clarify some of the connections for me.

Thanks again

I will put a definition online when I will be on my pc.
The expression is surely x-1.
If you want to progress the important thing is to try to understand the logic to make the bumps and the logic to make the mesh. With that you could then use what you are used to. I use a line to be able to have inner pointsbbut you could use vector instead or a scale …

1 Like

wavy curves surface.gh (30.7 KB)

3 Likes

Hi Laurent, and thanks a lot for this nice definition.
I used it as a base to do this wavy carving :

6 Likes

Best skirting boards I’ve seen all day!
(Don’t fancy trying to do the corner mitres though :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Hi, great carving!!
I’m a new user of grasshopper… can you please share the definition?