Spacebar radial

You can via the context menu of icons on the tab panels.

I recall that those aliases donā€™t always get first-billing on the search box, which defeats the purpose a little - and thereā€™s no way of right-clicking on items that only appear on the dropdown menus?

Actually on a similar topic, user objects could really do with a bit of love in GH2 - the current state seems a bit of an afterthought with no way of saving multiple objects or editing them after the fact.

e.g. 90% of the time the Gradient component comes paired with Remap numbers and Custom Preview - enough of a logical ā€œunitā€ to seem like a chore instantiating each one separately, but not to justify packaging into a dedicated cluster

Sorry for the nitpicking - I know these are small matters but GH is great for freeform prototyping explorations, they end up being like tiny annoying roadbumps in the way of focusing on the problem :sweat_smile: And hopefully these posts arenā€™t getting in the way of your big rewrite - keen to see how things will turn out in GH2!

That would be a bug. Have you got an example of an alias that fails to be the top result once typed in full?

Yeah, thatā€™s a general problem with the dropdowns. You have to enable the option* that shows obscure components on the panels and assign your aliases in that mode, then switch back to regular mode.

* See? Another needless option solving an issue that shouldnā€™t exist in the first placeā€¦

Agreed, the current implementation sucks.

maybe the text box should appear when you start typing without having to do anything at all?

the middle mouse button on my mouse is terrible and the control key on my keyboard is trash

iā€™ll settle for allowing customization of the extra buttons on my mouse

Sounds like it is time to replace the two with fully functional devices.

If you just start typing it assumes you want to run a Rhino command. Early versions of GH didnā€™t send unused keystrokes to the Rhino command line and that was a major pain in the neck. Half the time you start typing a command nothing happens because GH was the active window.

Upshot is that Grasshopper can now only respond to keystrokes that could not conceivably be rhino command characters. I.e. control, shift, alt, arrows, tab, space. Of course once one of those keys has been hit it can put GH into a mode where it does parse regular characters, but that conflicts with another UI paradigm I subscribe to these days; ā€œdonā€™t mode me inā€.

1 Like

Ah, active-window indecisiveness. I have this problem w/ certain panels in RH6ā€¦ a total and complete pain, esp when itā€™s not all the panels & just some of them [layers, propā€™s work fineā€¦CPlanes or something doesnā€™tā€“try it].

I loved the two-button mouse interface of former GH iterations, because it was simple. and a big fat button like space bar was similarly simple enough.

IFF I have to use 3 mouse buttons, itā€™d be nice if either: a) I can customize their behavior; or b) or they could at least perform similar to the RH interface (e.g. righ-click menus, mmb=pan/orbit/whatever).
I use the radial all the timeā€“perhaps because itā€™s prettier than the right-click-options when something is pre-selected; (perhaps some of you customize your mmb differently in RH?)

As an aside*ā€“the icons in the radial (preview & enabled) are confusing visually as the one with a bolder (black) presentation has the opposite meaning in the two categoriesā€“even after years, I still have to look carefullyā€¦ā€œONā€ should be bolder, while ā€œOFFā€ should be grayer (respective to preview/enable toggles).

David & Teamā€“

Please bring back the option for the radial menu access with the space bar. Itā€™s not only a condition of muscle memory but having ā€œergonomic balanceā€ with not having to access everything via one hand (ie mouse hand)

Ctrl+Spaceā€”> radial menu

My comment was not for the Mac version. For good old PC.

That is not only for Mac. See that topic.

thanks. it would easier if it were still just the space bar. better than nothing, however.