Someone please help me out!

Hello i am a college student currently doing a project using a 3d scan of a face. using the plug in mesh 2 surface, i am able to make an exact replica of the face. the problem beings when i want to offset the surface. when i do offset my surface, it has holes around the nose area. can someone help me offset the surface? i will attach the original mesh and my surface to this topic. any help is appreciated. thank you very much.NYP_5.stl (7.8 MB)

I used command offsetmesh with 2mm thickness and ticked “solid” on as shown in the screenshot.

This is very cool. What did you use to make the scan?

NYP_5_OFFSET.3dm (12.5 MB) offsetmesh

oh i forgot to say that i have to make a surface from the mesh and then offset it. it doesn’t have to offset as a solid but it must not have holes around its face such like the picture and file i have attached. why must it be a surface you ask? it the only way to be able to manipulate any bump of the surface of the face. when i consulted my supervisor, i was told that i had to go from mesh>surface>offset surface. that was the reason why i stared using the mesh2surface plug in trial version. it sounds easy but i just cant seem to offset it without any holes forming. please help a soul out. thank you.

by the way, this is how my final product should look like, but just without the holes. the holes are due to the offsetsrf.
14.3dm (7.7 MB)

Hi @rismi2013
Here’s one way of approaching this. I ran ReduceMesh to 2000 poly’s and used OffestMesh to create the “inside” (not as a solid mesh, so that you have inside and outside separated). Use ToSubD to convert the reduced meshes to subD and then use ToNURBS to convert them to NURBS. Use Dupborder to get the borders and loft between the two resulting curves to create the “in-between” surface. Join the whole thing up. The result is super complicated in terms of surfaces, but it’s quick and easy. The level of detail can af course be adjusted depending on the amount of poly’s: more poly’s = more precise and complicated end-result.
-Jakob
JN.zip (16.2 MB)

1 Like

You may want to try the new feature we released today. Convert to SUBD or NURBS, then offset:

thank you very much for your help. I will try it out now. May i know what version of rhino you’re using? i can’t find a toSubD command, only selSubD. And also, if you look at the picture i have attached, you can see the eyes , mouth and nose cut out. Do i need to cut it out right at the beginning or can i cut it out in the end after everything?

You need to download the rhino 7 wip released today. It is available to anyone that owns rhino 6. Do not worry about the cutouts, the remesher will handle that.

Hi again. i have another question. is it possible to edit/reduce the number of the polygons to one one part of the mesh?

For example, the mesh i attached in my first comment, if i want to remove a certain bump off of the face by reducing the number of polygons of that certain area, can i?

Thank you for all your advise thus far.

Is a nice question

Consider making a specific title and make only one question. This helps a lot for who is searching for the same answer.

2 Likes

The Quad Remesh in Rhino 7 does have the ability to decrease or increase the mesh in specific areas, but we do not have it available yet. Can you be specific on how you might want to use that in this case?

Basically my project is to work with burn scarred patients and i have to design a mask for them. If they have a certain bumpy scar, it shows up on the scan/mesh. But when i make the mask, i need to remove that particular bump on the mesh so that it does not appear on it. So, i need to know how to be able to edit only one particular part of the mesh for this reason.

I might convert the original to a Subd. Then fix the worst points. How to create a shape exactly will take some work.

I think the easiest/fastest method would be to import it into a sculpting program (3DCoat/Zbrush/etc.) and work on it there.

Hi again, while playing around with the method you have described, i was able to model it out the way i wanted. However, i cannot seem to fillet the edges at all. i want to fillet it a tiny bit ( maybe just by 0.3mm on both sides )to smooth out the outer edge. Is there any way to do so? I can’t seem to upload my file no matter what format I put it in so, I have attached a picture of how it looks like.

This is the mesh of the face i used. 3.3dm (7.0 MB)

@rismi2013 - You can always get large models to use using out upload form: https://www.rhino3d.com/upload

Here is an example of the file that you did send.

1. converted to Interpolated SUBD using the quadremesh. (1500 target, 50 adaptive, everything else off)
  2. Use the ToNurbs command to convert the mask to NURBS polysurface.
  3. Boolean the pads to the Polysurface.
  4. Use the Fillet edge command to get a .3mm fillet.

Be aware that the small features ou are looking for may demand the tolerance in the file is lowered. I lowered it to .0001 mm. I like to have a tolerance 10x smaller then the smallest feature I am concerned about.

1 Like

You can keep driving down the number of Quad faces with by using and adaptive size of 0. In this case I use 750 quads:

Using curves around the eyes and mouth would help the definition in those specific places.

If I use guide curves around the eyes, I get to here:

1 Like

Hi. Sorry if I was not clear but, It is not the feature i want to fillet but the edges/parameter of the mask itself after offsetting, lofting and joining it…

so i offset my mesh > convert it to subd > quad remesh it?

I would:

1. Quadremesh (Be aware that the less mesh faces the better in this case)
  2. Convert to SubD
  3. Convert to NURBS
  4. Offset as Solid (Must be more than 0.8mm or so)
  5. Fillet edges

Lot of ways to do the eye cutouts. I might cut the NURBS polysurface before the offset, but after it is a NURBS.

You could also cut out the eyes before going to Quadmesh.

You will have to experiment what’s best.

I also found projecting a curve on the mesh to be used as a guide curve loop for the quadremesh is helpful.

There are a lot of places in the process to optimize, you will need to experiment.