Solid Difference not working as expected on extruded Voronoi

Hi guys,

I have a set of geometry on the right that I derived from voronoi. I am trying to recreate this geometry onto the left surface but I am having issues moving past the stage after getting the voronoi curves on the double curved surface.

I have made some progress but i cant get the final step right - in my original flat surface, the sdiff between the sphere and the extruded voronoi works nicely, but in my curved surface, some spheres work whereas others dont. Any advice would be appreciated on how to solve this!

Voronoi3D.gh (3.6 MB)

Hello,

Solid Difference requires closed Breps, which you don’t have here.

After trying to cut the surface to cap your extrusions, I finally went for Split Brep.
I also removed the unnecessary Patch calculation to retrieve the normal vector from the brep directly.

There is still a problem with the {70} branch. I’d look for simplifying the curves…

Voronoi3D.gh (3.6 MB)

Hi ,

Thank for your reply.

I needed the curved surfaces of the sphere to remain on the surface and not be cut away.

If i join the patch with the extruded point geometry and then do the Solid Difference again, would that work?

Yes in theory, it would, but the Patch is a so complicated surface you’ll probably encounter problems after.

You can add a second Brep Split, this time cutting the spheres by
the extrusion, and then joining the two surfaces.

Voronoi3D.gh (3.6 MB)