Snapshots plugin prototype in the latest WIP

Hi all,

Enjoying a lot this feature in the last project to explain assembly systems. Great work @lars and team.

I don’t know if anyone asked about this, but could be awesome to have access to the snapshot modes transitions as Rhino animations so images can be exported in sequence to create a video or a gif.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Hello. Where are snapshots saved? Where can I set the file path?

They are not saved externally from the .3dm file, SnapShots are part of the file. Create snapshots, save your file, open on another computer and voilá, you have the snaphots with it.

/Nathan

cool concept. Thanks

Hi @lars - it would be good to be able to sort the Snapshots alphabetically ascending/descending. So far I see only move up/down one by one which is not efficient with long lists of Snapshots.

–jarek

Added to the wishlist. Thanks.

Nathan, could a import command be added like known from the rhino views? Often I get a project state from my client, create the setup for rendering and later I got further information like saved views or layer states. I suppose so it will be the same way for snapshots.

Edit: Sorry, I suppose @lars is the man for snapshot wishes.

There is an “Import from 3dm file” button on the panel. The import is also available from a command “-_Snapshots _Import”.

Oh, great. Thank you Lars.

Hello, that looks great! Thank you.
I would like to ask if it will work with batch render in Vray (like NamedViews)?

Maybe a little late for the conversation, I woul like to leave a pair of ideas.

It would be handy if each snasphot has a explicit association of Named Views, Layer States,etc. something like this…

In that way, if multiple snapshots uses a particular Layer State, we could update all together just updating the layer state they are associated with. This could save

Now, thinking about Layouts, I consider that it would be handy to explicitly associate Detailed Views to Snapshots. This way, it could be possible to easily manage multiple layout at once, in a centralized manner, just managing snapshots. Imagine I have 8 elevations, wich all of share the same Layer State. Once created the corresponding detailed views for each elevation, I get noticed that one new layer is necessary in my model, and I want this layer to be hidden in all 8 elevations. I would be as easy as update the corresponding layer state, and all the snapshots and in consequence the detailed views that use them would automatically be updated.

This loosely describes a workflow that Archicad uses in order to manage complex layout system parametrically, which has been successfully refined and proven to work fine.

In few words, I consider that Snapshot has a great potential to enhance Rhino´s capabilities of creating Layouts.

saludos
aitor

2 Likes

Aitor

That’s actually fairly similar to the way to designed it on the first pass. We decided it was too complicated, was prone to screwing up your snapshots, and took too long to set stuff up.

There won’t be any more feature updates for Snapshots in the V6 timeframe now. However, I would expect better editing tools for them - including batch updating of snapshots - in V7.

• Andy

great power brings great responsibility:grinning:

Yes - and huge amounts of technical support.

Am i the only one having trouble with the snapshots tool?
i dont have access to the layers options…

Let me know!

pc specs:
Rhino 6 SR10 2018-11-7 (Rhino 6, 6.10.18311.20531, Git hash:master @ 0f9089a0035dcc6955732d57071445ecc29390f0)
Licence type: Commercial, build 2018-11-07
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: ygolay (Brio Innovation)

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: BRIO-23

GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 416.34)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 10-10-2018
Driver Version: 25.21.14.1634
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.10.18311.20531
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.10.18311.20531
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.10.18311.20531
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.10.18311.20531
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Scrolling the view with the scrollbar doesn’t work for you?

The layer states property is provided by the Rhino Bonus Tools plugin. The layers option should be visible once you load that plugin.

Bonus Tools Plugin? Wasn’t that’s Rhino 4 thing? Is there a new bonus tools for Rhino 6? Why doing that instead of just SR update?

Gustavo

That plug-in has shipped with Rhino since Rhino 4 - as part of the standard distribution. It just so happens that the Layer state manager code is in that plug-in.

This is a bug - what Lars suggested is only a workaround. The Snapshots plug-in should ensure that the Layer State Manager is loaded before it starts to do its thing.

• Andy

I see. I had seen that layer states were missing sometimes from Snapshots and I thought it was because I didn’t have installed that plugin manually for the last few years.