Smooth connection, tubes, pipes, etc

Hi !
Is it really that difficult?
I need a fluid, tangential connection between these parts:

Thanks,
Julian

Hi Julian-

Likely a little late for your purposes, but it always helps to post a 3dm file in these situations. That allows other people in the community to take a look at what you are doing. You can post the file by dragging it into a reply here.

Hi Dan, here is the 3DM.
thanks to your reply.
I had a conversation with Pascal. But it seems that he has problems with it or he has no time for it.
I don’t know. It is one month now that I’m trying to get this done.

getting single surfaces is easy, but there is no possibility to get perfect continuity / tangency between them… in my opinion.

I got quite good results til now, but the thing is that the “fillets” won’t work, they overlap - because the three tubes are too inclined.

The interesting thing is that everyone can imagine a perfect surface, but modeling it…

networksrf will create good results in some parts, as blendsrf and patch does.
getting them together is the difficulty for me.
matching won’t work for me.

union the 4 solid tubes and fillet the edges works fine - but as said, they are overlapping because of the inclination.

I think this should explain some future questions.

four.3dm (845.2 KB)

these are some other tries… from surface modeling to boolean operations.
someothers.3dm (5.0 MB)

this kind of modelling not my area of expertise, but you may find this thread helpful

yeah… connecting three tubes is easy. but thanks :slight_smile:

if 3 is easy, then 4 shouldn’t be too difficult following the same principles :thinking::+1:

1 Like

really guys, is there NO ONE who can do that?
T-Splines are no chance anymore what am I going to do?
I don’t want to have to switch over to FUSION360.
why do I have the feeling that Rhino is getting old?
Fusion solves that problem with one click!
I will keep asking. why is this so damn complicated???

and to @dan and @pascal, thanks for not helping.
I questioned, you answered, you said you’re gonna have a look on that… since more than two weeks now.
I must say I’m a bit disappointed…

Ok. I got a solution.
I have an iPad Pro, installed Shapr3d, learned this easy program in 1 hour and remodeled it in 15 min, a connection between 6 tubes.
Exported it to Rhino as STEP file and got this here :smiley:
its not perfect, but much better than nothing :smiley:

so you are disappointed, that sounds very funny, everyone in this forum are here to help each other in their free time, if you want a solution for your “design” you have a few options i guess:
-try the suggestions that others users put here.
-figure out a solution by your own, since you are a part of a “Design Studio”
-keep asking and trying

• pay for someone to solve your issue.
  • try other software if it suit to your needs.
    But… blaming others for your inability?? jajaja that’s veeery funny.
1 Like

I am sorry, this is not meant to sound so angry or disappointed as you interpreted.
Just someone could have told me in two weeks in a public forum that this a not solvable problem in Rhino without T-Splines.
Or someone who told me that he would have a look over this (2 persons) since more than a week ago could tell me that he has no time, or he has difficulties, or anything but not nothing, right?

it’s not so difficult but you need to think simple hope that will give you an hint :wink:
fun.3dm (431.5 KB)
done in 5 min but you need to spend more time for having a smoother transition

thank you julz! very kind. :slight_smile:
I can see a screenshot in the file preview.
Seems interesting, I would like to see what you did, but I can not open your v6 the file because I have Rhino5.0 for Mac.

It’s absolutely solvable with Rhino. It will take advanced surface modeling skills to do it. Even then it will be time consuming to do. Well beyond any reasonable exception for a free contribution. Search the forum for Y-branch. I’m sure you’ll find some inspiration.

1 Like

Here you are ! funRhino5.3dm (183.0 KB)

Thanks to your reply! :slight_smile:
Sorry, maybe you misunderstood, or my topic isn’t explained enough.
This is about connecting 4 diverse inclined cylinders.
You can find everything about modeling a Y-branch on the internet, I know this.
Thanks for your help :wink:

thank you ! :slight_smile:
I’ll have a look a t this.

that’s the screen.

Maybe it is not the result that you are looking for but it could be other strategy to solve each pair of joints secuentialy.

The Y-branch as @Stratosfear mentioned are always hard but luckily we have several approaches, some more usefull than others, it’s just practice

I like that one! I willl try that.
Maybe I can get it close enough to this one:

I modeled four intersecting cylinders, meshed them and got this result with the command “smooth”.
But it sa mesh, then.
thank you for your help!