Slow Display

I’m seeing some weird things with that file.

I opened it without any warnings popping up. Zoomed extends. Hid the area of houses that is away from the origin and zoomed extends again. That didn’t change the view and so something else must be out there. (still looking into this).

With the view like that, the area of houses at the origin that is visible is rather small but something there keeps blinking on and off and never stops doing so. Zoomed into that region in the top view shows this (Discourse does not like wmv so zipped file): 2-24–display-top view.7z (94.2 KB)

Then I tried to find out more about what is out in space that I don’t see and decide to load the file again: File > 1. > Save Changes? No.. Now I get a Missing image files warning for “block from portland maps.PNG”. Why did this not pop up when I first opened that file? The blinking of geometry is still there.

I exit Rhino. Start Rhino again and drag’n’drop that file and pick “Open”. No warning about missing image files.
Now the blinking is gone and I am also unable to recreate an issue that I had trying to select an object out in space but only getting a hold of two invisible curve points… Oh well…

Not sure if this is supposed to be like this but when it opens you have the Study model shown and if you zoom extents again 2300 feet away.

Perhaps this is what is slowing it down. It runs fine on my computer but Ive seen this before when my models get to be large and the distance between parts grows as well

Looks like this was already noted by @wim.

Thanks for the input. I’ve built a second file in Rhino 5 and taken it into Rhino 6 for the AMAZING Make2D command improvement. Big thanks to that!

The problem persists though. I can barely rotate the model. I’ve even changed my video card out in hopes that was the issue.

No dice. I’ve turned off skylight in the rendering section as suggested. Nothing helps except turning of the OpenGL use hardware switch in the advanced portion of Document Properties. And then I start getting strange results like the model redrawing partially in ghosted or not at all after rotating.

Rhino 6 SR0 2017-2-28 (Rhino WIP, 6.0.17059.2211, Git hash:master @ 6250fb6755aa8168fe586a6e95a61d5b5c6ede12)

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 28Gb)

Quadro 400/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:3.3.0)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: None
Mip Map Filtering: None
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: None

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 3.3
Shading Language: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
Driver Date: 1-9-2015
Driver Version: 9.18.13.4135
Maximum Texture size: 8192 x 8192
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 8192 x 8192
Total Video Memory: 512 MB

C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” n/a
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement” n/a

Please update to the latest WIP that we released today. The latest WIP includes major changes in the display code.

Steve,

I’ve updated and the behavior persists. Is there a best practices to reset completely to make sure I’m isolating the WIP install to it’s function and it’s not some part of my adjusted Rhino 5 settings that is causing the issue?

It’s a pretty serious bug though. It renders it unusable. I’m happy to help however I can.

Brennan

Thanks for trying; I wasn’t sure if this release would make a difference for what you are seeing but I there were so many changes this week I wanted to make sure we were at least discussing the same version of the WIP.

I know you are experiencing the slowdown in rendered mode, but…
Does the dramatic slowdown occur in wireframe mode?
Does the dramatic slowdown occur in shaded mode?

It occurs in all modes. I’m watching the CPU and Memory consumption while it happens on my computer and it isn’t really spiking so much. It’s almost like it enters some sort of loop that isn’t really taxing on the computation but stalls everything out.

I can make a fresh file with an array of cubes and it happens there too in all view modes so I don’t think it is related to the geometry that much.

if you draw a line in wireframe mode, is it unusably slow?

No, it works great when I make one line, or many lines.

It works pretty good right now when I make a 3d array of cubes too.

You know what I just found in the DocumentProperties->General section is the Memory was set to 256. I set it to 20,000 and it seems much better but my Rhino 5 install is set to 256 and flies.

UPDATE: It’s definitely still laggy

Can you elaborate? It sounds like things were working and then not…

They weren’t working. I didn’t realize I had it set to no OpenGL still. That helps somewhat, but the shaded mode is non-functional without OpenGL. Some closed polysurfaces show up, some don’t, some faces do, some don’t.

The issue is with any mode besides wireframe.

I’m using wireframe because I want the new functionality for Make2D and rendered clipping plane views but I have to reopen the model in Rhino 5 to work on the model in shaded view.

That is not an option that we even want to expose in Rhino. Not much is going to work without OpenGL being used.

So wire frame IS working fine? I know this sounds like you are being asked to repeat yourself, but I want to get accurate information on exactly what is going on.

I also noticed that your drivers are from 2015. Have you tried updating these?

I don’t mind at all.

I’m downloading the new driver and will install it ASAP. Thank you for catching that.

Wire Frame works well.

Here are two screen captures that should show the different experiences
First Video
Second Video (WIP)

I’m assuming that second video is from after installing the latest graphics drivers ?

It looks like there is come debugging information being printed to the command line for an event watcher. Do you have any custom plug-ins running in the WIP?

I have installed the latest drivers. I don’t know of any plugins installed. When I select “Plug-ins that do not ship with Rhino”, it says, “Export SVG” and “Snapshots”.

Ok; those plug-ins actually ship with Rhino. We haven’t gotten around to adding them to the list of know plug-ins so the PlugInManager knows what to do. Snapshots must be printing this to the command line (@andy just an FYI that it looks like snapshots may be printing some debugging information in the WIP).

Thanks for sharing the videos. It definitely looks like there is something in our shaded mesh OpenGL shader that your GPU does not like in the WIP. I don’t have a solution yet, but hopefully we’ll figure out what is going on soon.

Let me know if I can help. The improvements are amazing.

Nope - it’s nothing to do with Snapshots - but a line of debugging code did make it into the WIP. It was removed almost immediately afterwards.

Oops, didn’t mean to point fingers. :slight_smile: Sounds like this is already fixed