Should Rhino be this slow?

I have just downloaded a trial version of Rhino to sample. I have used several 3D programs in the past and am shocked at how slow Rhino is for some tasks. I have recorded how long it takes for Rhino to calculate me moving 1 face from a 20 faced NURB object. It thinks for about 4 seconds to do this simple task!

I have an intel i7-9700k 3.60GHz processor, with 8 cores - (but I guess Rhino can only works with 1 core so that part doesn’t matter?)

If you type SystemInfo into the command line and paste here we can see more details about your setup. Thanks.

Video Card setup is the most likely issue.

Thanks for the quick response Japhy. Here it is:

Rhino 7 SR11 2021-10-20 (Rhino 7, 7.11.21293.09001, Git hash:master @ 972ac562128b307e99f15e56dd11586c73e91ecb)
License type: Evaluation, build 2021-10-20
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2022-04-03

Windows 10.0.18363 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 5-15-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 446.14
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 5-15-2020
Driver Version: 26.21.14.4614
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.11.21293.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.11.21293.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.11.21293.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.11.21293.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.11.21293.9001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

The relative slowness at which that “move” happens doesn’t really surprise me - Rhino needs to recalculate all the surrounding surfaces, which are not simple planar faces.

@Helvetosaur

really? there are only four surrounding surfaces.

" Press and hold and click and drag the gumball control to move, rotate, or scale the control freely."

can you tell me what is a more enlightened word than “move” in your opinion?

You might consider posting your model so we can better evaluate what’s going on.

– Dale

Thanks Dale

Here it is:

Lag_Q.3dm (13.4 MB)

I get 1 second on the first drag, then subsequent drags seem to be faster, almost instant.

_
c.

This driver is over 18 months old. It may not be the cause of the problem but it would still be a good idea to update it.

I get a steady 2 or so seconds per drag. This isn’t really unexpected no, it’s got to modify the surrounding surfaces according to some logic, and one at a time. And every time you modify anything about 500 things have to happen in the model database.

My bigger concern would by why are you doing this dragging on this converted SubD instead of on the SubD itself, it’s really inefficient and your surface quality has gone to hell. If you’re going to SubD then stick with it until final detailing that you actually need the NURBS model for, or if there’s something about it you’re not liking you pretty much have to rebuild with NURBS instead of trying to fiddle with the converted SubD like this.

2 Likes

You might (also) revert to Wireframe display so the Brep isn’t re-meshing with every edit.

— Dale

Thanks AIW. I’m about paranoid about updating my drivers until I absolutely need to because I’ve has given me problems with using some older software or a library in the past. Not sure if this is stupid of me or not.

@dale Thanks for the tip!

@JimCarruthers Hi Jim. I’m doing this because I’m a student who is completely new to NURBS modeling but has some experience with mesh modeling. I thought I would try to rebuild something I liked using mesh modeling as a NURBS model.

I guess you’re right in this odd surface causing the problem. I did not realize yesterday how many control points were on each surrounding surface. I actually want to rebuild this as a simpler NURB model but am so new to Rhino and surface modeling that I’m having some trouble and am going to make a separate post asking for help about how to get a clean cylinder pipe extrusion from a rectangular base as a surface model.

Well, rhino needs everything kept up to date.

Well, Rhino 7 is evolving fast enough that, as Jim Carruthers said, the video drivers need to be kept current. I have never had any issues by keeping Nvidia Quadro drivers up to date, but then I may not have the range of software on my machine that you do. I don’t have any games, for example.

Yes you can’t compare “moving polygons in a polygonal mesh” to having to readapt all NURBS surfaces around. As you can see all those surfaces have to bend in a fairly complex way to adapt.
Whereas moving any mesh’s polygon (with the others adapting using “softEdit”) is immediate.
That being said Rhino probably still is slow, on some tasks.