Shoe Last Modelling Help

Hi there,

I am stuck. I am trying to model Shoe Lasts for a Footwear project at university but running into trouble. Could someone advise the best way to go about constructing one. I have a created a base surface but cannot create the upper surface of the foot. I try to create a Curve Network but am getting the error, “unable to build this curve network”. Could someone advise what I am doing wrong. I am new to Rhino. Please see attached image

surface modelling, modelling, footwear, shoe last, curve network.

Cheers
Oscar

First of all, you have too many curves in there. Always, the best way to make a surface is with the fewest curves and the most simple curves. I’d say you could delete 2/3 of your curves at least. Secondly, you’ve got to understand that Rhino treats the input curves JUST LIKE the isocurves you see on any surface … all that means is that you have two directions, each direction should match (open or closed, not both) and one direction will need to be open to provide the ‘seam’ location.

Finally, your bottom could/should be flat. That will help the other input curves ‘track it.’ As a secondary step, I’d slice off the bottom the match the profile you have shown. This is a powerful strategy; I call it “make things bigger, then trim them back.”

If you or your school has a Lynda.com account, I have a step-by-step shoe demo, using surface from curve network, at this link:
http://www.lynda.com/Rhino-tutorials/Creating-complex-surface-shapes-using-Network-Surface/133324/153922-4.html

Most last are made of 3 surfaces. The side surface, the top and bottom. The Side surface is the most complex. The isopram will run more like this.

Typically the last starts from a scan. Then you take sections through the point cloud Last like shown here, then use Network Surf or Sweep Two Rails to make the side surface. Rebuild the section curves to get a better surface.

Hey, I´m an orthopaedic shoemaker and very experienced in building all types of shoe lasts. If you still need help, just give a sign. :wink: