Setting up rendered viewport to look similar to the shaded viewport

Hi,

I’m finding the default rendering settings for rendered viewports to give a very flat appearance. In contrast, the default shaded viewport gives nice depth variation. Any suggestions on how I can change the rendering settings to achieve something more like what is achieved in the shaded viewport.

Thanks,
Sam

Left is shaded viewport showing nice depth variation. Right is rendered viewport which is quite flat. I’d like to change the rendered veiwport to be more like the shaded one.

Hi Sam - turn off the Skylight in the Lights panel - is that better?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, thanks for the quick response.

skylight was already off

Hi Sam - then you’ll need to tweak the material and/or environment - Shaded mode has some sheen on the material provided by a mock environment applied as an Emap. Rendered, if it is going to be at all like a real rendering, will need an environment and some reflectivity on the materials. The environment should be there by default so it probably depends on the materials.

-Pascal

play w custom lighting settings (I find that helpful)

I’ve tried all sorts of materials without any luck.

What custom light settings specifically should be tried?

Thanks,
Sam

click on Edit ‘Rendered Settings’ (bottom of your display window)

and settings are below:
here’s the scene file too.

test.3dm (5.3 MB)

Putting in custom lighting direction was helpful. The shadows and reflections are much stronger than in shaded mode. Is there a way to make these more like in shaded mode?

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam - why are you jumping through so many hoops to make rendered mode look like shaded when there already is a shaded? Is it to get the materials? In that case, make a copy of Shaded and then change the material usage setting -

?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

I’m creating renderings and I’m finding them to come out quite flat looking. But I noticed that shaded mode better visualized variations in depth. So I thought if I could get the rendered mode render settings to match those of shaded mode, then my renderings would better show depth.

Thanks,
Sam