Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra

This is a conceptual design of a fictional phone called Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra, which I created just for fun in my spare time. The real one should arrive on the market at the beginning of 2024 and is expected to look fairly similar to the existing S23 Ultra at the back, however, my fictional version takes a bit different approach and features the following key specs:

• Unibody design made of a CNC-milled titanium, with no separate back panel;
  • Access to the internal components is done after the removal of 4 screws located the the top and bottom of the body, then the AMOLED screen could be easily detached to reveal the rest parts inside;
  • Dust and water protected motorized selfie camera that hides inside the body while not in use;
  • A physical fingerprint sensor on the right side, also doubling as a Power button;
  • A common volume up/down button, as well as custom button on the left side;
  • An infrared blaster on the top to control TV’s, video players and other devices remotely;
  • Dual SD card slot on the top;
  • 3,5 mm jack and S-pen at the bottom;
  • USB Type-C port;
  • 80 000 mAh supercapacitor battery with impulse charging from 0% to 100% in just 15 seconds;
  • 200 MP main camera with OIS, 200 MP ultrawide camera with OIS, 50 MP continuous optical zoom camera between 2x-30x with OIS, 50 MP night vision sensor to help all three cameras capture perfectly clear night time shots;
  • Video recording up to 16K at 600 frames per second.

Video:

Renderings:

8 Likes

Interesting approach, but I do think I’d be missing the rounded screen edges on the long sides. And I’d prefer if the S-Pen slot stayed on the other side.

A 80k mAh battery sounds amazing not in the least because of the 15 second charge time…

I’m on the fence about the finger print reader on the side. Although sceptical at first, I quite like it that it is in the middle of the lower part of the screen. Makes it rather nice to use while it is in its protective case.

Where does my SIM go?

1 Like

These are some quite nice questions. In my opinion, the S-pen is easier to pull from the right side of the body, because the majority of people are right-handed. This is how it was up until Galaxy Note10 series. For reference, here is a 3d model of Note10 that could be seen from any angle:

A flat screen offers much greater readability of the content, not to mention it eliminated the shiny reflection at either side caused by the bent glass used in S22 Ultra and S23 Ultra. By the way, there is a rumour that the official S24 Ultra may actually come with a flat screen. Flat screens are also less prone to damages after drop and use more affordable screen protectors.

With regards to the SIM card, it should be placed at the top, where the microSD slot is located. Some “Samsung” phones (Galaxy M21, for example) could accommodate up to 3 different cards in a common tray, such like two SIM cards and one microSD card. That reminds me that probably I have to swap the telephoto lens (4th camera) with the 3rd one, because the tray above reduces the usable space. :slight_smile:

While 80 000 mAh and 15-seconds time to fully charge the battery sounds too good to be true, the supercapacitor batteries are up to 1000 times to charge quicker than regular phone batteries. There are promises that one day they will store multiple times more energy than today’s Lihium-ion batteries. However, they are still too expensive to manufacture, hence they are not used in regular consumer phones yet. The new Lamborghini Revuelto also uses a new generation of supercapacitors to aid the acceleration.

As for the side mounted fingerprint sensor, it’s extremely convenient to use and is much more reliable while trying to unlock the phone with a slightly wet finger. Glass protectors usually make the under display fingerprint sensors work noticeably slower and unreliable. My current phone since 2019 is Samsung Galaxy S10e and it also has a side mounted fingerprint sensor. It’s one of the reasons (along with the 3,5 mm jack) why I still can’t find a good reason to buy the latest Galaxy S23, for example. Another advantage is that it could be set to open or close the notification menu by sliding the finger vertically. :slight_smile:

80,000mAH =

80 Amp Hours ie can provide 80 Amps of current for one hour (actually rated at 1 Amp for 80 hours…) =

4800 Amp Minutes =

288,000 Amp Seconds

288,000/15 = 19,200 Amps

The USB-C port might not be up to the task.

:joy:

Cheers

DK

3 Likes

No problem with a futuristic wireless charging. :smiley: It’s inevitable to happen some day. Just like any modern technology that seemed nearly impossible some years ago.

All though I prefer a light phone, ( The Light Phone) I appreciate the modeling. Nice job :+1: :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you! I also like small and lightweight phones, this is why mine is the smallest modern Samsung model from the S lineup. Having a 3,5 mm jack and side-mounted fingerprint sensor is essential for me and I can’t imagine going to a model with an underdisplay one. :smiley:

1 Like

I was thinking the same and asked ChatGPT with Code Interpreter to calculate the power needed:

By its calculation you would need 76.8kW at 220V to charge the phone in 15s. That is already a pretty high charging power for an electric car. Have you seen the kind of cables they use? No amount of “future wireless charging” will be able to handle that. Sure, you could wirelessly transmit that power, but inside the phone there are still wires going to the battery, which would light up like a flash for about half a second and your titanium phone would most likely be vaporised.

Also there is no need to charge a phone in 15seconds. Even ignoring all the laws of physics why would that be necessary? Why not 5 minutes, which is still ridiculously fast, but would cut the power by 20 times, meaning it would cut the thickness of the wire needed by 400 times.

And 80 Ah?? That’s how much I store in my 30kg battery in my camper van. Even a lithium battery would weigh half that.

I thought the specs were pretty realistic to start with, but got more and more outlandish towards the end. 16K video recording at 600fps? In 2024? Why? How?

All the specs were pretty realistic up until the USB-C port and then just took a real hard turn towards science fiction…

1 Like

No worries, the charging system of the phone is made from unobtanium. :smiley:

1 Like

I think, a little sharp edges give a better safety to the phone, because many phones with the curvature and smooth edges slide from the users’ hand, crash on the ground, and damage. Of course, that is my personal opinion and maybe is not right.

The main reason to design the phone’s body with a horizontal housing for the cameras is to provide far better grip while in use. :slight_smile: The other reason is to pay tribute to the Samsung Galaxy S10 series, which had a horizontal layout for the rear cameras, too.
The flat screen also helps to hold the phone more securely in hand, and installing a flat glass screen protector add another layer of protection.
The unibody shell of the phone is easily replaceable and only requires to remove the 4 visible screws.

The majority of people use silicone cases anyways. :slight_smile: For example, this is the “Spigen” silicone case for the Samsung Galaxy S10e:

1 Like

As far as I see, some people are not interested to use the silicon protective cover and would like to see the beautiful and attractive appearance of their phones and access the axillary keys easily.

However, as you actually are a master in car modeling with Rhino, the phone you designed is a masterwork.

1 Like

The grip provided by e silicone case is far superior to the material of any naked phone, no matter if it’s made out of aluminum, steel, titanium, plastic or glass. Not to mention that there are silicone cases with grooves that provide extra grip, just like the one I use on my personal phone.

Sony Xperia 1 V is one of the rare cases where the phone’s side frame has grooves (its back panel is also textured), thus it’s not as slippery as the majority of modern smartphones.

1 Like