Rotate, scale move multiple

Does anyone know of a button or a script that will basically “transform”(rotate, scale, and move) like the gumball multiple objects at once(maya and max and even powerpoint have it) based on the objects centroid? I know I can use grasshopper but it’s a very common command that we use.

You might try BoxEdit - it has a panel you can dock…
–Mitch

1 Like

No, and I think it would be a terrific addition to the Gumball Options (“Transform multiple selections as individual objects”).

Box edit treats multiple selections as a group and transforms around the group centroid.

Move, of course, makes no difference, all objects transform relative to the same two points whether grouped or not.

History and Blocks will allow scale and rotate around object centroids, but only for identical objects, and must be set up during object creation.

The only thing I can offer is for scale. If you scale multiple objects the object centroids scale with them, but you may reverse the scaling of just the centroids and not the objects (scale the spaces between the objects) with Pascal’s excellent Scale Centers command. This should be added to the standard command set, in my opinion.
From http://wiki.mcneel.com/people/pascalgolay?s[]=pascal&s[]=tools
"Scale centers Scales the locatons of selected objects based on their bounding box centroids. The objects themselves are not scaled. Adds the following alias- ScaleCenters."

2 Likes

Try checking the box “Transform objects individually” in BoxEdit… It’s down near the bottom, easy to miss…

–Mitch

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right, Mitch, I did miss it and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. I now see I should be making more use of Box Edit, it is a powerful tool.

I do agree with you however that this would also be cool to do with Gumball, it there was some easy way to toggle the behavior.

–Mitch

I’ve always felt that BoxEdit and Gumball are really two interfaces for the same thing and that it would be interesting to see how it works if they paid attention to one another.

-Pascal

awesome! thanks so much.

Thank you!

Hi Pascal, All,

I think it really should be looked into as not having this is a missed opportunity for Gumball having very powerful functionality. In MAX for example, there is a dropdown menu that switches Gumball transform to many different modes. I think for starters in Rhino we could have World, View, Local and Screen. What I like about the dropdown (apart from the actual transform functionality) is that you see instantly what mode you are on, vs. current settings that are hidden inside Gumball menu. Note that Screen always re-adjusts based on your view, which is great for users like us that many times work on view-based scenes.

Here is a quick capture of how it works in 3DMax:

–jarek

3 Likes

Hi Jarek - yeah…more grist for the BoxEdit/Gumball melding mill, it seems to me. BoxEdit has a subset of this, Gumball a different subset… I will make a YT for this to at least get a ball rolling - I don’t know how realistic it is in the short term, I think it will require some UI thought.

-Pascal

1 Like

hi Pascal,

my suggestion, if these options were to be implemented at some point, would be to move gumball to far right in the status bar, and add a dropdown with gumball modes next to it, like this:

I understand that this is not a trivial UI change, but now that the Gumby matured, why not enhance it to the modern 3D software standards?

thanks!

–jarek