RIR Linear Dimension

Hello smart RIR people, I am trying to dimension the Revit walls through RIR but couldn’t make it work.
Can someone show me what I have done wrong? It would be great if you could share your sample file.Thank you

To create dimensions, you need to provide element references using the element geometry references component as shown in image below…

2 Likes

Thank you, Mohamed! I will try to replicate what you suggested! Also, if I would like to measure to the external faces of the walls, is there a quick way to achieve that? Thank you

For some reason, I couldn’t see the “element geometry references” in my grasshopper. Am I missing something ?

Hi Realtaiwanese,

That was added in 1.14, do note that Dimensioning programmatically in Revit isn’t very intuitive and has particular requirements. The components available in Rhino.Inside.Revit are a start but to be effective will need a configuration interface to preset what is being dimensioned.

https://www.rhino3d.com/inside/revit/1.0/reference/release-notes#v1-14-rc3

1 Like

Thank you Japhy,

Also, I am wondering if this guide for dimension is still relevant when using the current RIR version? If yes, would you mind sharing a sample file that can replicate this?

Yes, that information still applies.

Here’s a quick example dimensioning two walls.

re_Dim2Walls-RiR.gh (5.0 KB)

1 Like

Thank you Japhy, you are the man !. Also, is there a way that I can adjust the dimension from measuring to the center of the wall to the external or internal face of the walls?

Hi there,

Is there a way to overwrite the dimension value to a text? thanks.

There are accessible properties in the revit api, depends if you have one segment or a dimension string

1 Like

Hi Realtaiwanese, In Revit UI you set that before placing the dimension.

The dimension component in RiR is expecting a Reference derived from the geometry of the wall you see on the screen.

Hi Japhy, thanks for the reply again, I have tried to preset the dimension preferred location to “Wall faces” in Revit, but for some reason, it still snaps the wall center. Am I doing something wrong ? or do I need to specify the snapping location using the “Element References”?

So you can use the Host faces component to get the faces you want to dimension to…

OR you can go through the element references where you can do some geometrical checks to get the face/edges of the wall you need to dimension to as well (shown in my first reply).

1 Like

Thank you, Mohamed!

Hi all,
thanks for sharing this. I am having some issues in finding a way to do a similar thing with Curtain Wall.
Is there a way or a workaround to be able to achieve something like this?
Is there a way that I can reference the sides of the curtain wall?

Thanks for your help.

Hmm Curtain Walls are special condition, the Parent Object being a container of Panels, Mullions, etc. and doesn’t provide the references generated when adding a Dimension via the Revit UI. I’ll add a feature request to support this.

Hi Japhy, thanks for your response. I have been playing around a bit and I actually found a way for it.
With “component references” I can get the reference planes within the curtain panel and use those to place dimensions. It return a Null Face by it does the job :slight_smile:

This is actually a good component. It’ll be good in future if, for example, in the Weak Reference it return the name of the reference planes so that it’s easier to filter out.

2 Likes

@Japhy Nick here from Thornton Tomasetti. You gave a course at AEC Tech last year for us. I very much appreciate the sample file.
I was struggling for awhile on my own with the Linear dimension component, but have recreated by issue with your sample so reaching out here in case it’s a bug. I’m using a Revit 2024 file using Rhino 8 & a RIR install from mid Feb 2024. An exception is thrown on the ‘References as list’ input. Any thoughts?

Hi Nicholas!

I’m seeing that as well.

Dimensions are pretty particular on their reference requirements in Revit, we’ve added in a number of ways getting this via grasshopper but depending on the Element, a direct cast to Reference might not work. I’ll see what we can do in the case. Thanks

1 Like