RhinoDotNetCrash

Does the crash happen with Rhino started through the safe mode shortcut?

IDK never tried. I don’t use any plugins outside of the native plugins installed with Rhino. There is no crash per se, that file shows up when I close Rhino, so something is crashing on exit. I can try to run Rhino in safe mode if its usable for working. What exactly does safe mode disable?

All plug-ins, including internal plug-ins.

To get a good picture of what is loaded you could post the results of the Rhino command _SystemInfo from a normally started Rhino.

i uninstalled/reinstalled Rhino lets see if it still happens. Here is my sysinfo
Rhino 6 SR4 2018-5-10 (Rhino 6, 6.4.18130.19341, Git hash:master @ )
Licence type: Commercial, build 2018-05-10
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by:

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name:

Quadro M1000M/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.6.0 NVIDIA 391.58)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 4-30-2018
Driver Version: 23.21.13.9158
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

uninstall/reinstall didnt fix it

If i open Rhino (no safe mode) and do a few things and close the issue doesnt occur, but once i work a bit and then close it happens, or if i go into sleep mode and then wake and close Rhino it happens.

I think it started after windows update KB4100403 installed.

The most reliable way (but not a required method) to cause this is to set the “turn off display” setting to 1 minute leaving Rhino open. When I wake the display my PC remembers my username, but requires my password. Once I return to windows I can continue my Rhino session but when I close the TXT shows. In safe mode this does not happen.

Any ideas on how to debug this further?

updating to 6.5.18143.7081 doesn’t fix it

uninstalling KB4100403 seems to have fixed it, can anyone confirm this is an repeatable issue that can be fixed?

1 Like

Any update here? KB4100403 windows 1803 update is the culprit. I installed and uninstalled it and it creates/solves this issue. Can anyone at Mcneel reproduce this?

I get this file on my desktop as well after closing rhino, since a few days now.

Please attach the file. My telepathic file reading abilities have not manifested themselves, despite decades of practice.

RhinoDotNetCrash.txt (2.4 KB)

That is indeed the same crash as the OP. Have you tried uninstalling the suggest KB?

@brian @aj1 is this something for you?

Why would I uninstall a windows update? I’m not going to do that.
No big deal, the file on the desktop doesn’t bother me that much.

I don’t recognize this, sorry. It seems it is related to Win Forms.

Got one here too.

RhinoDotNetCrash.txt (2.5 KB)

@nathanletwory Clearly this is a repeatable bug. Could a bug report please be made so its fixed in a future release? Uninstalling Windows updates is neither a secure nor reasonable solution. MS only allows delays of updates for a short period.

1. Install windows 10 ver1803 and make sure it is up to date with KB4100403
  2. Install Rhino 6.4.18130.19341 or later
  3. Open Rhino and open a 3dm, run a few commands to create some geometry, save 3dm, close Rhino
  4. Rhino crash txt appears on desktop

I realize “run a few commands to create some geometry” isnt the best repeatable process, but I am sure a little playing around in Rhino and you will create this issue.

1 Like

I have logged an item here https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-46531

I have this update not yet installed, as it hasn’t been offered to my machine yet. I don’t know if other devs have it already installed. From the KB page I gather that only from today on it’ll be offered, so it will probably take some time for a dev to have this.

if you go to start and type CMD to raise windows command dialog and type WINVER this will tell you version and build. Is your version 1803?

I have 1803, but one build older than provided in the KB you mention. I have written info about it in the YT item - it is publicly visible.

@Info3 Do you also have a RhinoCrashDump.dmp file on your desktop? If so, please send it.

no dmp is created, and i have repeated this many times, only the one text file