Rhino uses 100% of CPU every 5 minutes (and locks)

The problem lies mainly with the file I’m working with. This is a file across the network. I can not in any way stop work (I will work there for months) That’s why I asked for some advice to reduce the problem.

then i’m confused… earlier you said the same problem happens if you’re working in a blank file…
??

the reality is-- if you don’t send the file to mcneel then they aren’t going to know what it is you’re talking about and they will not be able to fix your problem or advise on how to get better performance with the model.

Excuse my English. Yes, the problem is always present, even with a blank page.
Working with the file, of course, the problem occurs more often as you make changes to objects.

Update. I had the opportunity to work for a whole day with my Rhino file in the Windows version of a friend. No Lock. No one. This excludes that the file has problems. If the problem is on the Mac autosave would be important to know if you can solve. Thank you.

We are at an impasse here. I need a copy of your model to be able to see your problem. You can send it privately to us using http://www.rhino3d.com/upload. Be sure to change the recipient address to mactech@mcneel.com.

Without the file I cannot provide any additional help.

ok I will. Thank you.

Thank you for the model. It helped me pinpoint the problem.

When Rhino saves models, it compresses (using gzip) any meshes in the file to save space on disk. This is also happening during autosaving and the compression routine was taking almost 30 seconds to compress the meshes in your model.

I’ve changed Autosave so that it no longer compresses meshes, and autosaving your model now takes less than 3 seconds, a 90% savings. You will likely never notice autosaves any more. The tradeoff is that your model is larger on disk after an autosave - it will grow from 200 MB to 300 MB. I think the larger file / 90% less time tradeoff is well worth it.

A regular save is not affected by this change. If you save your model using File > Save, it will still take 30 seconds to save and will be back to 200 MB.

This change will be in the next WIP release.

This is fantastic news. I will work on that model for several months. Thank you.

Simon

Updated: version 2014-04-21 . I worked for two hours on the file in which I had problems. No block. Fingers crossed but for now, I’m elated. :sunglasses: