High CPU usage in Mac Rhino

(Marlin Prowell) #1

Reply moved below…

Why Rhino continues to accumulate memory?

Hi @marlin it looks suspisciously like the problems I’m having too…

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.3.1 (5D193)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: fr
macOS version: Version 10.11.6 (assemblage 15G1217)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: iMac13,2
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
Memory: 2048 MB
Screen size: 2560 x 1440
Displays: iMac (109dpi 1x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Logitech: USB Receiver
Apple Inc.: Apple Keyboard
AKS: HASP HL 3.25
Apple Inc.: MacBook Air SuperDrive

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-10.10.14 310.42.25f02
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 8x
Mip map filtering: Aucun
Anisotropic filtering: Élevé

(Marlin Prowell) #3

Continuing the discussion from Why Rhino continues to accumulate memory?:

@fuse The screen shot fragment you include shows that Rhino is using a lot of CPU time. This is not the same has the high memory usage in the original thread, so I have moved this to its own thread.

Can you describe how to duplicate what you were doing when this happens? Please be specific so we can repeat this behavior.

Yes, sorry about that @marlin I’ve been trying to replicate the behaviour for the last hour and of course everything’s working fine. But here’s what I was having - and it’ll probably come back later in the day - I’m basically a self taught user of Rhino so I probably have a lot of bad habits. I have a tendency to model switching back and forth through the views using the tabs (I never use the command line, coming from ArchiCad) and icons and zoom with my mouse a lot.

It seems to happen after about 10 to 15 minutes of operations on a selected object that I’m working on. i.e. I’m switching back and forth views with an object I’m working on selected, with a transformation or operation going on. I am not a computer expert and in laymans terms would describe it as having a closed container that I fill bit by bit with a liquid and when it gets full everything stops.

And here we go…

So what happened was that I was working on another desktop and came back to the Rhino desktop, tried moving an object and that’s when it starts to freeze.

Edit: Well it seems to be connected to clicking on the tabs - if I use the blue ones everything seems to be ok…

(Marlin Prowell) #6

Try this…

Have Activity Monitor running with Rhinoceros selected in the Process Name column. When you see Rhino start to use a lot of CPU time, quickly select the gear menu in Activity Monitor and pick the Sample Process menu item. Email the report to marlin@mcneel.com and reference this discourse thread. Thanks.

(Marlin Prowell) #7

I received your Activity Monitor report along with your description of how you created the problem, and can reproduce this stall. On 10.11.6, I can reproduce this by clicking on lots of ribbon bar tabs, then hiding/showing the left sidebar, then clicking on lots of ribbon bar tabs, and repeating until Rhino stalls.

This problem is a bug in macOS 10.11.6 code. When switching modeling views, or switching tabs in the ribbon bar, Apple code is figuring out how to arrange all the views in the Rhino window. In macOS 10.11.6 (only), Apple’s code starts looping over and over when performing the arrangement calculations. I cannot repeat this stall on older versions of macOS or with the current version of macOS.

The solution to this stall is to upgrade to macOS Sierra.

Thank you! @marlin